Top-up Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Omega

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there guys,

Ok I have seen that some of my water has evaporated, I do have clean water to top-up with and the question is-

Do I have to add the water over a certain period of time like on cup every ten minutes or can i just fill it to the old level

TIA

I top off once a day. My sump is clear plastic and I used a black Sharpie pen to mark a line where the proper level should be. I just add water to that line every day.

HTH.

Mike

Same method applies. I would decide where your ideal level is and mark it. Depending on how bg your tank is, you can still top off once a day. The smaller the tank, the more often I would add water.

In my 120, I lose 1-2 gallons of water a day. Seems like alot, but not that significant in relation to the total water volume (120 galllons in the main tank and 15 gallons in the sump.)

So if you had a smaller tank, you may want to do it twice a day.

Just my $ .02 cents.

Mike

The main issue is rapid change in salinity. It depends on what you're keeping, but a rough guideline I've read is to avoid decreasing the salinity more than 0.001 with each addition of freshwater. So if you notice a significant drop in water level, it's a good idea to add a portion, check salinity, repeat... I usually check the water level of my 20g 3x a day (before I leave for work, when I get home, and before I go to bed), and I pour the top-off in a slow stream into my HOB. A cup every 10 minutes is unnecessay and would be a huge pain.

HTH, Ryan

Back
Top Bottom