Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2005, 12:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Topping off my salt tank

I have a 10 gallon that is running well and very healthy... However over the past week I have lost about 1 gallon in water. I checked the salt level in the water and everything is in balance.

I want to remove about 2 more gallons and replace with fresh water... When I add the new water do I add the salt mix also or do I just put fresh water in? This is the first time for me and I`m new to the game so any advice will help. My water parameters are in good range but I heard that water changes are crucial to salt water tank survival.

Old 04-09-2005, 12:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Top off the lost gallon of water with fresh waer. Then you can take out what you want to do a water change.

Remember if you take it out replcae with salt water.
If nature takes it out replace with fresh.

Oscar Wilde
MYTY1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 12:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Exactly. If you are performing a water change, you use new saltwater.
If you are replacing evaporation, you use fresh, un-salted water, because only water evaporates, the salt stays behind, and your salinity increases.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

My salinity has not gone up so Im going to take out 2 gallons of salt and replace the rest with fresh... I`ll check the salinity and go from there. My concern is that it`s a nano 10g and smaller tanks are less forgiving.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

If you take out 2 gallons of saltwater out of your tank, and replace it with freshwater you will have a significant salintiy drop especially in a 10g.
65W Dual Compact Fluorescent
65W Dual Compact Fluorescent Actinic
2-Moonlight LED
50# Fiji Live Rock
30# Argonite Sand
FISH:
Yellow Watchman Goby, Scooter Blenny, Strawberry Basslet, 6 Line Wrasse, Mandarin Dragonet
INVERTS:
Cortez Crabs, Scarlet Hermit Crabs, Blue Legged Hermit Crabs, Black Turbo Snails, Cerith Snails, Bumble Bee Snails, Astera Snails, 3 Pepermint Shrimp, Feather Duster, Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Clam
CORALS:
Frogspawn, Mushrooms, Zoos, Polyps, Galaxea,
Starburst, Xenia

REFUGIUM:
10 Gallon Tank
CPR Bak-Pak2R Skimmer
2-10w 50/50 Compact Florescent
20# Argonite Sand
10# Fiji Live Rock/Rubble
Chaeto, Red Garacillia
Flsprophet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 07:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds like you need to get a new hydrometer, or whatever you're using to measure SG. YOu lost a gallon of water out of 10 (prob more like 9) without any change in SG??? Seems hard to believe.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 03:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Staandard swing arm hydrometers are not so accurate. If you lose half a gallon in the ten it is significantly changing the SG. It is difficult to see on the hydrometer.

Are you trying to decrease the salinity?

When adding salt water do not forget to let it mix for 24 hours with a powerhead. That is something I learned recently, and I may have lost fish because of it.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Losing a gallon to evaporation in a 10gallon tank should increase salinity by roughly 10%

And you're right, it's a lot easier to change water chemistry too quickly in a small/nano tank, vs. a large setup.

Tags
salt, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com