Torch coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flipping minow

Aquarium Advice Regular
My daughter asked to go to the LFS today, and I didnt want to buy anything. I talked to the guy working there who has been great at giving me good advice, and the right corals for my tank. I told him I didn't want to buy anything, but he told me he'd sell me a torch coral for $10 (for a single head). I couldn't say no.

Does anyone have any advice on this? I started it low in my tank with moderate to high flow. How long will it take this coral to relax, and spreads it's wings?

I keep mine mid to low in tank with moderate water flow. Keep it away from all other corals. I feed mine once a week with brine shrimp. Good luck.

Torches like medium to low flow and mid to bottom placement. I'd move it somewhere a bit calmer. Once it's in a good spot, it should come out and spread nicely.

They need moderate light. (mid to bottom placement of tank) They don't need to be fed. Corals are photosynthetic like plants. They get most of their energy from light. The rest of it is absorbed from the water column. Feeding corals and anemones can stress them out if the size of the food they are given is too big. I'd reccomend to not feed and let it do its thing.

+1

See in my pic -- lower lefthand side of the tank

:)

Attachments

• image-3976273887.jpg
    image-3976273887.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 221
I have a 29 gal tank with 2 inches of sand, and 45lbs of live rock. For lights i have a coralife 30 inch with 2 t5 one actnic 31 w and 1 daylight 10000k

Is that enough light to keep it at the bottom or should place it next to the lamp lol.

I have ha great luck with soft corals using this light. I just don't know about the torch.

I have a 29 gal tank with 2 inches of sand, and 45lbs of live rock. For lights i have a coralife 30 inch with 2 t5 one actnic 31 w and 1 daylight 10000k

Is that enough light to keep it at the bottom or should place it next to the lamp lol.

I have ha great luck with soft corals using this light. I just don't know about the torch.

I think a 2 bulb T5 is pretty low on light. I'd move the torch higher.

The lighting has been great for what I want to do as far as keeping this a softies reef tank.

Is there a way to add lighting to this without spending to much. I.E. retro a MH next to it?

A Metal halide in a 29 gallon might be too much. You could retro fit some T5`s or VHO`s.

The torch I added has one main head, and this morning I noticed about 6 small what appear to be new heads. Is this what I am seeing? I have never had a torch before so I'm not sure if that is how they grow.

image-2541480217.jpg

This looks a minature torch growing right? How long does it take for these to grow?

image-2403680542.jpg

Coral growth really depends on a number of factors including lights, water quality, and good tank husbandry.

With everything going well, IME it's not uncommon for branching torches to split a new head every 3 months or so.

Thanks sorry for all the questions. My water parameters are great. A little green algae on the glass, but I don't know how to stop that

I looks to me, though I may be seeing things, that you have a frogspawn coral and not a torch.

I agree it's a frogspawn not a torch. I have both in my 29 bio cube.

what type of flow/lighting/food does a frogspawn like? It seems to be doing great at the top of my tank with moderate flow. The tentacles are expanding, and flowing great. I put in a 850gph wavemaker that has been a great addition to my tank.

I am new to the corals, but I like this frogspawn a lot

Back
Top Bottom