Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

When you go look at the tank ask questions lots of questions. Have you used any copper meds in the tank? That will effect the invertebrates you can have. Hold old are the bulbs? Bulb replacements get expensive and should always be considered needing to be changed out. Look for deep scratches on the glass. Ask about the power heads they look like koralias to me. To me that tank looks pretty new because of the rocks but if he didn't have any coraline algae to start with that is why it isn't growing in there now. If it has compact fluorescent lights I would upgrade to a t5 light system. I can't tell if that is a deep blue light or not. Ask about the filter too find out if it is a sump or a canister. All of this should be asked before you go.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

He said he had it 2 months and upgraded. He said he upgrades all the time and has sold a lot of his tanks on cl. He says it's an addiction an every time he gets a tank he wants a bigger and found a good deal on the one he just bought so he just wants to unload this one to someone who will take care of it and appreciate it.

I will ask those questions when I speak to him again. Anything else I should ask or be looking for?

And thank you.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd go for it

life is short... get a fish.
SwimsWithFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimsWithFish
I'd go for it
I just wanna go see it and ask some questions. Seems like a nice guy. Won't hurt to go see it. I'll bring the money and if all is well I'll do it. An then it begins!!

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 11-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

I just wanna go see it and ask some questions. Seems like a nice guy. Won't hurt to go see it. I'll bring the money and if all is well I'll do it. An then it begins!!
Yaya! Let me know when you start a build thread!!!

Old 11-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Will do! I've been reading up on SW and it's intimidating.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

I always thought it was intimidating from what I heard and read. But it isnt as intimidating as I originally thought. I am totally enjoying salt water a ton. Still love my cichlids though too
Old 11-09-2011, 11:14 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well the tank was a bust. I spoke with the guy, seemed like a really nice guy and didn't know anything about what he had. He was offering EVERYTHING you could think of except fish. We spoke in great length tonight an he told me he had like 30 calls since he posted it on CL.

He said people were offering like 50 dollars more then he was asking. He was taken back by all the attention so I couldn't do it after hearing his story and tough times so instead I educated him on what exactly he had. He's taking it off CL and is gonna re list for more money. While on the phone with him I checked CL and eBay also googled some of the equipment he had. He was getting robbed and I couldn't do that to him!

Yeah I have a heart and soft side. He was so thankful for all the info and what little knowledge I had to offer but he realized then why so many people were calling and why it started a bidding war. He had no idea the the filter system he had alone was worth 200 bucks then the 2 power heads and a slew of other equipment.

Anyway I feel better that I did a good thing. And he told me if it doesn't sell he will give it to me to enjoy as he has no need for it anymore. I told him thank you very much but to re list it and see what happens. He insisted on giving it to me of it doesn't sell and thanked me for being a stand up guy and for being so honest.

That alone was worth it. No fish tank can make me feel as good as I did knowing I helped some stranger. Anyway. I told him good luck and in ending the conversation he said thank you for being a firefighter and if it doesn't sell by thanksgiving to please except it as a gift. I told him thank you and I hope he sells it and gets some money back but if he doesn't sell it to give me a call and we'll talk.

Well that's the story. Have a good night.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
Well the tank was a bust. I spoke with the guy, seemed like a really nice guy and didn't know anything about what he had. He was offering EVERYTHING you could think of except fish. We spoke in great length tonight an he told me he had like 30 calls since he posted it on CL.

He said people were offering like 50 dollars more then he was asking. He was taken back by all the attention so I couldn't do it after hearing his story and tough times so instead I educated him on what exactly he had. He's taking it off CL and is gonna re list for more money. While on the phone with him I checked CL and eBay also googled some of the equipment he had. He was getting robbed and I couldn't do that to him!

Yeah I have a heart and soft side. He was so thankful for all the info and what little knowledge I had to offer but he realized then why so many people were calling and why it started a bidding war. He had no idea the the filter system he had alone was worth 200 bucks then the 2 power heads and a slew of other equipment.

Anyway I feel better that I did a good thing. And he told me if it doesn't sell he will give it to me to enjoy as he has no need for it anymore. I told him thank you very much but to re list it and see what happens. He insisted on giving it to me of it doesn't sell and thanked me for being a stand up guy and for being so honest.

That alone was worth it. No fish tank can make me feel as good as I did knowing I helped some stranger. Anyway. I told him good luck and in ending the conversation he said thank you for being a firefighter and if it doesn't sell by thanksgiving to please except it as a gift. I told him thank you and I hope he sells it and gets some money back but if he doesn't sell it to give me a call and we'll talk.

Well that's the story. Have a good night.
Aww you did a good thing. Your right there's nothing that comes close to that feeling. Cheers to you!

Old 11-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks!

I'm still looking though. I'll find one. Already emailed a guy. 72g bow front with stand 300 bucks. Hour drive from me.

Tags
torn

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com