Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
tossing around doin a salt water tank

Howdy gang I'm getting a new 55g tank for Christmas and am trying to decide if I wanna do a fresh or salt tank. I've had a few fresh water and would like to try my hand with something different. But I'm completely ignorant as to what I would need or how to go about setting up a salt water tank. Could definitely use yalls help! thanks for all your time and help in advance.

jakedalab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i would tell whom ever is buying it that you want to toss a couple bucks in and get a 75, that's "reef ready". a 55 is very limiting. it's hard to aquascape because of it's 12" front to back dimension.
A plain salt tank is the same as fresh water except you add salt.
a reef tank is something else entirely.
the fish are much different however- you can't go by the inches per gallons rule. you'll have to research each fish and learn their requirements.

mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
How bout a 50? 36x19x19 roughly, not sure how to copy a post but the stickies In saltwater reef getting started is A pretty good start
150g pond koi and comets
125 in wall reef , 55 sump
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote

salt, salt water, salt water tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com