Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-07-2005, 02:43 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
I thought i was getting a good deal on it at the time because all the other auctions for it were going for about 5 dollars more, but because it was shipped from Canada it took almost 5 weeks to arrive. I was told that USPS from Canada is extremely slow- I'll never buy from that seller again...

gsxrguru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 02:52 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by 20 20
Hope you don't mind me throwing in a newbie live rock question here! How long before you start seeing the 'critters'? I've had live rock in my tank for 5 days now, and has started seeing a few 'pods' (I believe), but that's it. What's normal for seeing the critters? Right away? If so, then I don't have any. A week? Two weeks? I'm just getting a bit concerned because I'm not seeing much yet, but maybe I'm just too impatient!
I think it depends on where you buy the rock. I've been to many different stores and some have live rock tanks where the rock doesn't look too alive at all, in my opinion. Then others have huge reef tanks and the rocks look very alive with purple and other colors.

talloulou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 03:46 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
Re: Total newbie with my first question of many!

Originally Posted by Ocicat
In discussions on live rock here, I have seen mention of the creatures that come along with the live rock. Some of the questions have centered around whether certain creatures are desirable for whatever you intend for your particular tank. So my question (finally) is: What do you do if your live rock brings in an animal that won't work with the intended tank? Is there a kinder option than killing it? What if my live rock brings in little starfish that won't work with coral, and I have my heart set on coral?
I am sure more people then just myself can let you know that the hitchhikers and the types depend on where you get your liverock.

An example.... I got all my liverock from www.liverocks.com, as many people here have done. They are freshly aquacultured and stored in a wonderful facility. They are handled and packed with great care, so that they arrive to your door as almost as alive as they got them from the water. Some liverocks will require you to cure them to remove die off, but almost all people who buy from liverocks.com have been successful just putting it in to the tank without seeing any adverse effects.

This being said, there are two major hitch hikers you can/will get on your rock... one is a mantis shrimp and the other is the aiptasia.

The mantis shrimp that comes from the Keys/carb. area, is not the harpooning beasts, nor are they the 7+ inch monsters that you hear about from the other side of the globe, from what I can tell and LR.com can explain they are a much smaller and much more docile species.

Now the aiptasia that can come on their rock, is also supposed to be a different species, from the rapid reproducing species from the indian ocean area, where here, they are also mentioned as rock anemones, I have had one in my tank for 2 months, and it has neither grown very much, nor have I had an outbreak, and Mike down at LR.com has had the solitary '1' in his tank for over a year without any issues.

I will stress this though:

LR is one the most important forms of filtration that you can have in your tank, so please stock to 1-2lbs per gallon in your tank. You can get LR and seed that into baserock from places like www.hirocks.com but that is your choice, as in time the base rock will be thriving with life as well.

I will also comment that LR.com has the best rock have seen anywhere, and the amount of life that you get from their rock is unbelievable, and is worth the extra few dollars even IF you find someone cheaper.

75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 05:32 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via MSN to Ocicat
Regarding the book — I'm all over it. It looks like what Half.com carries was printed in 1997, and what Borders has was reprinted in 2001. I wonder if the reprint contains any updates, like with regard to the issue of cycling that austinsdad mentioned.

I've noticed all the rave reviews of liverock.com, and I will definitely order mine from them!
Ocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:57 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Send a message via MSN to Hulrick
been a proud owner of that book and many others for amost 10 years.ill be checking that LR.com site in a few to get myself ready for what to buy when my system is a few weeks olds to make sure everything is nice and ready myself

soon to be 300 gal salt water with wet/dry system
Hulrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com