Total noob needs help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batman77

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first time on a forum and I am a total noob to saltwater tanks I have had freshwater in the past. What I am wanting is a 55 gal.tank with a DSB and some decorative rock (I was told that LR had to have special(expensive) lighting). Also I was thinking about getting a canister filter because it is quieter than a hang on back type and less expensive than a sump. And do I need a skimmer? Thanks

Hey, welcome to AA!

You sound like you are on the right track so far. If you are gong to do a DSB it will cost you a fortune unless you can find some aragonite play sand. You are partially right on the expensive lighting for live rock. Live rock really doesnt need any light to "live", but the coralline aglae does. However if all you are looking to keep is live rock with coralline algae, you could probably only end up spending around around 80 dollars on NO lighting. If i had it to do over again i would have spent more money to get some PCs, because it was only about a week after i started my FOWLR tank before i wanted some soft corals. So if you have any intention on getting corals go with some good lighting (PC or MH). On LR you should try to aim for 1.5_2 lbs per gallon for filtration. HTH
I am you will get more help from the pros!!

If I use the NO lighting will the LR filter the water or will I need to add the canister filter? Thanks sicklidkid for the quick reply

Canisters are nitrate factories, if you get one keep in mind it needs lots of attention from you in order to do its job properly.

If you add enough LR and dont want messy eaters for fish then all you will need is some power heads to circulate the water. I would be very wary of overstocking if you choose this method.

A skimmer is a must. The first time you empty the cup you will understand why :wink:

:D Welcome to AA :D

Your welcome! You dont even need NO lighting for filtration but i would reccomend at least that. But i cant say how much i wish i would have 1. Gotten better light to begin with ( got NO now i want PC) and 2. Gotten a quality skimmer. I am still struggling with the Prizm and i wish i would have coughed up another 70 bucks to get the aqua c remora which everyone here syas is the best. I hope this helps!

what exactly is a powerhead and how much water do I need to move with it if I use LR as filtration and what kind of fish are not messy eaters and what kind of fish or critters will help keep the tank clean
Thanks everyone for all the help BTW what is the kudos number

Batman,

Please pick up The Conscientious Mariene Aquarist by Robert Fenner. This forum is great, but you need a good book to help build a foundation of knowledge, and that's about the best book around.

A power head is essentially a submersible pump that just circulates water. Except for an optional pre-filter sponge on the intake, they don't filter anything. A salt tank should have at least 10 times per hour turnover (so a 55 gallon tank needs enough powerheads to have 550gph turnover, or more).

A fish that i would reccomend for its ease of care and its funny personality would for sure be a clown fish, i have a false percula and i love him. Maroons are probably the mmost agressive clowns so you might want to stay away from those. And there is also no need to have an anemone. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom