Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

just curious, why against used? just repeating a little from above. If you want 10G becuase of the space, that's understandable. If its because of the cost, well its not a cheap hobby so you might want to look into used (craigslist has great buys!) or maybe just wait until you can afford more cash. Best of luck!

nxb161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok point taken your right can be done on the cheap .

Karlos69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
Just because it can be done on the cheap doesn't mean it should be done on the cheap. If you don't have enough money to invest in the proper equipment now just wait longer till you do.
Cylias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
It wasn't bad equipment. It was equipment I would use myself. It's just not going overboard.
jenatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:00 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Someone can do it on the cheap if they are willing to go used. I got a furniture quality stand and hood, 55 gallon tank (scratched but still decent), 5 t lights, skimmer, sump, ATO, and heater for 375. She offered me some powerheads but I wanted koralia. My rock I got for 3 a lbs craigslist find compared to 6 LFS price and the sand I got for 1 a lb. You can't be in a hurry to get it started and once you get it started take your time. I might have been able to get the skimmer and part of the ATO for the price I paid for everything. The plumbing I had to get because I think she kept the hoses to use on her new tank.

Your big cost will be lights, filter and powerheads keep that in mind when setting up your tank because these are things you don't want to skimp on. Keep in mind the cost of replacement bulbs, you might get a heck of a deal on compact fluorescent but t5 is the better choice just because of the price of bulbs.

Do a lot of research and see if you can really afford to go new with everything or if it is better to used on somethings to use the money for the things you really want. Once you get your tank set up you can do it for the budget you set aside but I warn you there will always be "it would be nice to have or an I want". My I want now is an ATO for my JBJ nano in my living room I can afford new but I want to get used so I can get me another one or 2 maxi mini anemones.
joy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:28 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started from a regular 10gal tank. Bought two filters, a skimmer, got a hood done, installed lightning,salt of course, rocks, sand and done. It is harder keeping toxic levels low but not impossible (AmQuel's my best new friend), get RO water at WalMart or Sam'sClub. Sometimes it gets frustrating, I gave up a few times til' last time everything was **** fine- but my two clownfishes swam throught one of the filters and *crrrrrrushed* I think they watched finding Nemo so many times and got some ideas... So I decided to take a break, til' bout a week ago- thats when I decided to get the skimmer hoping everything gets better now.
What I still asking is, would I really need a powerhead? Theres already loooot of water movement going on..
LordJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
Some fish cost more than $50.

tjm80 is offline   Reply With Quote

starter, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com