Total noob question about 10g starter tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fuze

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all. I've always loved aquariums and decided I want to start a small 10 gallon one.

My question is, would the $40 starter kit from Petsmart be sufficient for a beginner saltwater tank? I dont want to buy used,... could I put something better together for under $50?

Any advice would be great.

thanks!

No. Those aren't even good for freshwater. Saltwater is more sensitive, I wouldn't start one in less than a 20 long. If you are stuck on a ten you have to do it right, will be over $100.

bigger is better usually when starting out with aquariums. Problems occur quicker in smaller systems. If you have the space, go for something between 30-55gal

Your looking at least about 600$ to get started if you use live rock/test kits/salt/pump upgrades/ heater upgrades probably need new lights too and say a used 29 gallon biocube to do it right thats with no fish or corals yet

If you want a 10 gallon, I suggest buying separately, not a kit. The filters are crap the majority of the time, as well as the lights. If you're not planning on a reef then you could get the cheaper tank-hood combo, then buy a filter separately. If you want a reef, then just buy the tank and buy everything separately. I think $600 is an overestimate, but no $50 is not practical for tank, filter, and light.

You figure 600 is over estimate?
Ph test-10$ api
Ammonia 10$ api
Calcium-30$ salifert
Magnesium -30$ salifert
Alkaline 25$ elos
Nitrate 15$ api
Nitrite 15$ api
Heater 50 watt 30$ Jager
Koralee nano pump 35$
Salt 90$ for 150 gallon
Live rock 9$x12 lbs =100$
live sand or just sand 20$
And then the tank 100$
Lights 100$
Refractor/hydrometer 50 or 15$?

600$ approx you could buy less salt but your gonna need it anyways am i way off here i think thats pretty close. Then you need fish and corals .

Wow. Thanks for listing it for me. I've spent over $600 on my 29 so far and its so not even close to done. LOL I just hadn't seen it broken down like that......

first of all most lfs will test for free so scratch all that, I had a successful 10gallon for a year with not one test of my own, we are talking getting started here... not an expert reef system with every test you could possibly need. you do not NEED 150 gallons worth of salt for a 10 gallon tank. live rock can be had of craigslist for $2/lb since your just cycling anyway this is the way to go. 10 gallon tanks at walmart are $10. plus if you want a bigger tank a lot of lfs sometimes sell tanks for $1/gallon. lights can be had for way under $100 unless you are starting a reef and since you say STARTER im assuming your not jumping strait into corals.

I started with the 10 gallon kit from walmart used the pump (although it does create more salt creep) and all and was very successful for over a year until I upgraded, you will need a heater and small powerhead. I also changed out the bulbs for 50/50s but that is not necessary. Just have your lfs do water tests for you and dose accordingly. Also buy RO water from walmart or some lfs sell it as well.

I agree Hinds, he's a beginner and didn't specify if it was a reef, FOWLR, or FO

A reef could be put together for: $40 for test kits, $15 for heater, Koralia nano $20, live rock $24, sand $5, tank $10, lights $80
He'd only need salt if he were mixing himself, which means he'd need an RO/DI system, which as a beginner I doubt he has.
~$200 for a reef.

It only gets cheaper if he's doing a FOWLR or FO. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but if he's on a budget I think he should know it's possible. You just have to watch how you spend your money.

fuze,
just curious, why against used? just repeating a little from above. If you want 10G becuase of the space, that's understandable. If its because of the cost, well its not a cheap hobby so you might want to look into used (craigslist has great buys!) or maybe just wait until you can afford more cash. Best of luck!

Just because it can be done on the cheap doesn't mean it should be done on the cheap. If you don't have enough money to invest in the proper equipment now just wait longer till you do.

It wasn't bad equipment. It was equipment I would use myself. It's just not going overboard.

Someone can do it on the cheap if they are willing to go used. I got a furniture quality stand and hood, 55 gallon tank (scratched but still decent), 5 t lights, skimmer, sump, ATO, and heater for 375. She offered me some powerheads but I wanted koralia. My rock I got for 3 a lbs craigslist find compared to 6 LFS price and the sand I got for 1 a lb. You can't be in a hurry to get it started and once you get it started take your time. I might have been able to get the skimmer and part of the ATO for the price I paid for everything. The plumbing I had to get because I think she kept the hoses to use on her new tank.

Your big cost will be lights, filter and powerheads keep that in mind when setting up your tank because these are things you don't want to skimp on. Keep in mind the cost of replacement bulbs, you might get a heck of a deal on compact fluorescent but t5 is the better choice just because of the price of bulbs.

Do a lot of research and see if you can really afford to go new with everything or if it is better to used on somethings to use the money for the things you really want. Once you get your tank set up you can do it for the budget you set aside but I warn you there will always be "it would be nice to have or an I want". My I want now is an ATO for my JBJ nano in my living room :scrambleup: I can afford new but I want to get used so I can get me another one or 2 maxi mini anemones.

I started from a regular 10gal tank. Bought two filters, a skimmer, got a hood done, installed lightning,salt of course, rocks, sand and done. It is harder keeping toxic levels low but not impossible (AmQuel's my best new friend), get RO water at WalMart or Sam'sClub. Sometimes it gets frustrating, I gave up a few times til' last time everything was **** fine- but my two clownfishes swam throught one of the filters and *crrrrrrushed* I think they watched finding Nemo so many times and got some ideas... So I decided to take a break, til' bout a week ago- thats when I decided to get the skimmer hoping everything gets better now.
What I still asking is, would I really need a powerhead? Theres already loooot of water movement going on..

Back
Top Bottom