Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-09-2003, 12:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Trace Elements

I use seawater in my tank, do I need to worry about adding trace elements?

Old 12-09-2003, 12:52 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Depends, how often do you do water changes? What is in the tank removing them? Typically if you do regular waterchanges (at least monthly) there is no need to replenish the traces, Alcium is a different story.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 01:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
Is this true?.. I am this close to buying trace elements, iron, and calcium for my MacroAlgae tank that is currently cycling (was going to use the additives when the tank and macroalgaes got settled). I planned on doing water changes once a week (about 10% of a 45G tall).
Old 12-09-2003, 10:15 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Electrobes, it really depends on your tank. If you have a huge intake of a particular trace element then dosing can be of benifit. One rule of thumb is to not dose what you dont test. If you dont test for an element then how do you know you need more? When you add more how do you know you did not add to much?

All of these trace elements are in very low amounts, hence the word trace, thus if the elements build up to levels to great they can acutally be a detament to your water quality.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 11:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

i agree with fishfreek, dont add what you cant test for. My opinion is that most trace element products are a whaste. If you have a particular coral that has a special requirement then i would address that individually. I have added nothing to my tank except water changes and iodine (Kent) because my xenia thrives with it added, and i can test for it. Also i think 10% a week water changes is a little much. Not saying youre doing it wrong just offering another opinion. I usually do about 10-15% a month. JMO
Old 12-09-2003, 12:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My experience with trace elements, having a fish only tank, is that you don't really need them. But buy a calcium test kit: I have lots of coralline algae and my calcium level had dropped to 325mg/l before I started testing for it.

I also have a iodine/magnesium/strontium supplement but I don't really plan to use that since I don't have any inverts.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com