Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Trace elements

wile i was out getting more water this morning i picked up a kent Marine reef starter kit. it has a big bottle of Iodine, strontium & molybdenum, and liquid calcium . now i would not imagine i have to use this stuff yet. i would think my water changes every week should replace the trace elements that my 3 corals use. when do i have to start adding buffers to keep up my calcium and stuff up?

Old 04-14-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmmm...most likely never. For the most part, reff additives are a waste of money. You can easily replenish depleted trace and major element by doing regular water changes. Remember, NEVER dose anything you do not test for. In some cases a Ph buffer may be needed, this will largely depend on source water. CA/ALK suppliments also MAY be needed in tanks that are stocked heavy with SPS and LSP corals, but for most of us, it is rare. See if you can bring them back to th LFS for a refund. 95% of the time they are simply not needed...regardless of what the LFS sells...sorry...tells you.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I totally agree. It will do more harm than good in most cases. I can basically guarantee that, I had issues when I first started a reef b/c of it. My tank is now very heavily stocked w/ SPS and LPS and I just do PWC's weekly for trace element reductions/additions, as is the general consensus among many successful reefers. I say reduction b/c most fish foods contain at least some trace elements and they tend to accumulate in our tanks anyway w/ out adding them separately.
BTW Randy Holmes-Farley has written a few online articles about trace additons, etc. A quick search should provide some good reading for you.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:07 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree with Brian and Mike. PWC`s will provide all you need for trace elements. IMO they are a waste of money.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:27 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I need to get back on the ball here...yeah the other guys are right....doing regular PWCs will replenish most if not all trace elements that are depleted. I agree with Brian, take it back and get some credit at the LFS!
Old 04-14-2007, 11:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Grrrrrate. thats 12$ i can use for salt mix then . i bought it from pet-co they take anything back for full refund. thanks that will save me money for shure.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com