Traditional Sump or Refugium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goisles1

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10gal Tank that I will be introducing into my 45gal FOWLR setup. I've plumbed it all and I've got a Mag7 Pump for the return. I was actually run for some time before I ran into some Siphon issues which will be resolved shortly.

I purchased a 7"x16" felt bag that I will attach to the Overflow PVC pipe into the Sump. I've got maybe a pound or 2 of LR Rubble from my 50lbs of Rock Purchase currently in a HOB Filter running on the tank.

The Overflow is only 3/4inch pipe and the flow to the sump is NOT too terrible. I think the flow is OK for a refugium.

So.. My question is..:

Should I just move the LR Rubble down to the Sump, add the filter Sock, and let it be? Maybe add more Rubble or LR to it.. Or, should I put some substrate (Mud) down there with the LR rubble and try my hand at a Fuge?

I've got a cheapo Stock Canopy with two small bulbs in it. Not sure of the strength. Do you need Powerful lighting for a fuge??

As Always, thanks for any advice!

Added note - I could also turn the HOB Filter (AQ500) into a Fuge.. I've seen those DIY mods for that online... Although that would only be like 1gal of water

Back
Top Bottom