Transfering tanks advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshpwolf

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I am new to this hobby so bear with me. I bought a up and running tank from cl that I will be transfering into my tank. Mainly bought because it had 100lb of live rock and the price was right. Im looking for any advice to help me through with this transfer. I.have never done a transfer before si any help will be great.

Is there anything else in the tank besides the live rock? During transport it is essential that it stays wet, preferably in the water from the old setup. Although it is already set up and, I assume, cured I would still quarantine it before putting it in my DT. You really dont know what could be in that old tank unless you are familiar with the owner and his habits in maintaining his tank. Since you bought it from a CL ad, I will assume this is not the case.

I've transferred a 90 twice already with only one casualty. You want to keep the rock wet at all times. I usually borrow big styrofoam boxes from my LFS to hold the rock in water. Only keep enough water to keep the rocks wet. Anything else can be thrown out. Make sure and take baggies for any fish. If you can dump the substrate and use new I would. 1: it makes the tank lighter. 2: water quality will start off better IMO. Take a friend or two. These tanks are heavy. Make sure you have most of the water already mixing at your final destination so you can start the refill as soon as you get home.

Back
Top Bottom