Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Transfering tanks advice

Hi I am new to this hobby so bear with me. I bought a up and running tank from cl that I will be transfering into my tank. Mainly bought because it had 100lb of live rock and the price was right. Im looking for any advice to help me through with this transfer. I.have never done a transfer before si any help will be great.

125 Gal Fresh Water
75 Gal Saltwater FOWLR
joshpwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Is there anything else in the tank besides the live rock? During transport it is essential that it stays wet, preferably in the water from the old setup. Although it is already set up and, I assume, cured I would still quarantine it before putting it in my DT. You really dont know what could be in that old tank unless you are familiar with the owner and his habits in maintaining his tank. Since you bought it from a CL ad, I will assume this is not the case.

Why do I love fish? Because every time I stare into the little world I have created for them, every problem I have just floats away....
Retired_AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've transferred a 90 twice already with only one casualty. You want to keep the rock wet at all times. I usually borrow big styrofoam boxes from my LFS to hold the rock in water. Only keep enough water to keep the rocks wet. Anything else can be thrown out. Make sure and take baggies for any fish. If you can dump the substrate and use new I would. 1: it makes the tank lighter. 2: water quality will start off better IMO. Take a friend or two. These tanks are heavy. Make sure you have most of the water already mixing at your final destination so you can start the refill as soon as you get home.
Sergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion
Wet newspaper on the LR helps. LR is shipped in styrofoam boxes with the newspaper wrapped around the rock.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

tan, transfer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com