Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-06-2004, 06:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
transferring stock

I am within a week or so of starting a 100 gal reef. I am putting in the following to start off.
60 lb. dry base rock (HI Rocks.com)
40 lb LR from other established reef tank (in Rubber Maid w/PHs,skimmer and 96W PC (10K&03))
15 lb. 14 mo. old LR from nano
20 lb. LS from same nano
90lb dry Aragamax
40 gal SW from curing tank and Nano

Can I add live stock from Nano right away or will I still have a cycle?
The problem is, I want to use the LS and LR from Nano to seed, but I will need to keep it in the tank if I can't transfer livestock right away.

Let's get a line wet!
got bait? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 07:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would setup the tank with the base rock and dry sand, fill half way and let the sand settle for a few days. Then carefully move everything over. 55lbs of LR should have enough biological ability to handle whatever livestock you have in your nano. You shouldn't have any noticeable spike. Put the LS right on top of the dry sand. Good Luck

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 04:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Got Bait
I just moved a 125 to a 100. I went from CC to 90 lbs of playsand and 60 lbs of LS. I dont know that you would have a cycle with as much LR and LS that you have. Also use as much if not all of your old water and then add aged new SW to make up the diff. I didnt have a cycle at all. I just checked today and all levels are stable.
Also if you add the water to the sand, I put down a big piece of plastic (new garbage bag) over the sand and gently poured the water over the plastic. Also you will need to weight the plastic down as you pour. My tank was only slightly cloudy for 1 day. Now its crystal clear...
Hope this helps. Take it slow and plan it out. It took me from 10 AM to 10 PM to get all of mine changed over...
fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 11:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Thanks you two. I've heard about the plastic sheet before, maybe I'll give that a shot.
Let's get a line wet!
got bait? is offline   Reply With Quote

stock, transfer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com