transparent green balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

s10469

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have these little green balls growing on my LR. They just showed up and now there seems to be alot more of them showing up. Does anybody know what they are? The lfs doesent know what they are. Any ideas?

Sure sounds like bubble algae to me. Look like this?

bubble.JPG

If so, it's pretty common stuff. Really surprised your LFS didn't have a clue. Don't pop them... the spores inside will spread like wildfire. You can carefully try to "roll" them off your rock with your fingers, but be gentle. Or you can take the rock out of the tank and scrub them off. You can also try the "scrape and suck with your siphon tube during water change" method to get them off. That works fairly well and if you happen to bust the bubble all the spores get sucked into the siphon tube and into your old water.

With out pics it is hard to say but it sounds like bubble algea (valonia) Nasty little things grow quickly :) However you can take your rock out scrub them off and then rinse in fresh salt water and replace in your tank ...

It does kind of look like bubble, but I haven't see it that light of a color (the oblongish shape doesn't seem to look like bubble). It could possibly be some type of codium or even valonia) Can you get a closer look at the base and see if they are attached? I imagine there are many species of it with different shading.

Back
Top Bottom