Treating for Ich, Tang has torn fin & other issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tigger

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, again. We are treating the main tank for ich (with Cupramine). I know this is a big no no, BUT we didn't think it would be good to cram 7 fish (at the time) into a 10 gal QT. Our choc chip star is currently calling the QT home.

The yellow tang has a torn fin (on the top). Should we treat the tank with an antiobiotic (if so which one)?

One of the percula clownfish's lower fins (not sure what the proper name of this part is) is quite a bit smaller than the other one. Not sure if it has always been this way or a tank mate chewed it off. The percula with the issues is larger & more aggressive (probably female?) Are there any distinguishing characteristics between males/females?

Also noticed the butterfly is saddling up next to the other fish (annoying them immensely). I thought I read that the butterfly is a schooling fish. Is that what he's trying to do?

TIA,

Natalie

tigger said:
The yellow tang has a torn fin (on the top). Should we treat the tank with an antiobiotic (if so which one)?

I would probably just get all your water parameters as perfect as possible so the fish has a better chance of healing itself unless it is a bacterial infection or something? You could try a product called Melafix, it's basically tee tree oil that is supposed to help with regrowth of fins but it will make your skimmer go crazy for a week or so.

tigger said:
One of the percula clownfish's lower fins (not sure what the proper name of this part is) is quite a bit smaller than the other one. Not sure if it has always been this way or a tank mate chewed it off. The percula with the issues is larger & more aggressive (probably female?) Are there any distinguishing characteristics between males/females?

TIA,

Natalie

There isn't a way to determine male from female as far as I know since I think most if not all clown fish can switch from male to female throughout there life as needed. The largest fish is usually the female though.

Back
Top Bottom