trigger and peppermint shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinda

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it possible at all for a trigger and peppermint to co exist in the same tank? I have a peppermint but now I am sorry I bought it since I would really like a bursa or a lionfish.

i doubt a bursa,but ive heard of people keeping crosshatch or blue throat triggers in a reef setting. it will still be a risk IMO.

This bursa is small right now does that change anything?

pinda said:
This bursa is small right now does that change anything?
Not his natural instincts, the pep might make it for a while, depending on his size, or he might go right after him. Either way the shrimp will, more than likely, be a meal.
Not to mention, he should be in a tank that is at least 70G (they can grow up to 1 foot). One more thing, bursas are not reef safe....

I guess my other choice of an atlantic blue tang must suffice, not sure what else to put in there.

If these were intended for a 55g, IME an Atlantic Blue Tang, Acanthurus coeruleus, would also eventually outgrow the setup. They do need large quarters for open-water swimming. Perhaps you can tell us what exactly you would "like in a tank" and some recommendations can be offered?

Innovator said:
If these were intended for a 55g, IME an Atlantic Blue Tang, Acanthurus coeruleus, would also eventually outgrow the setup. They do need large quarters for open-water swimming. Perhaps you can tell us what exactly you would "like in a tank" and some recommendations can be offered?
I am not certain at this point would a regular blue tang suffice? Maybe you guys could give me advice, lets assume I got rid of the peppermint shrimp.

Most tangs need a 100+ gallon tank. You might be able to get away with a yellow eyed Kole tang. That is about the only tang that is probable. Maybe someone knows of another one.

I am getting this distinct feeling that you guys are telling me that my tank is too small. It seems a lot of beautiful fish i can't keep.

You have many options along the lines of: Centropyge (dwarf angelfish), gobies/blennies, small wrasses, Apogonidae (cardinalfish), basslets, jawfish, hawkfish, Pseudochromids (Dottybacks), Chromis/Damsels/Clownfish, Canthigaster (Tobies), and even certain eels and dwarf lionfish depending on what type of system you have in mind. I'm sure I've missed quite a few generalized groups, but you get the idea.

Innovator said:
You have many options along the lines of: Centropyge (dwarf angelfish), gobies/blennies, small wrasses, Apogonidae (cardinalfish), basslets, jawfish, hawkfish, Pseudochromids (Dottybacks), Chromis/Damsels/Clownfish, Canthigaster (Tobies), and even certain eels and dwarf lionfish depending on what type of system you have in mind. I'm sure I've missed quite a few generalized groups, but you get the idea.
Wont the jawfish, hawkfish etc.... try to eat the peppermint shrimp?

Shrimp is on the menu for many fish species. On a personal note, I prefer to setup a biotope display, sticking to a distribution area and making animal selections based on that particular region. There is a lot of give and take to be had in specie interactions so you do have some research ahead of you...but it's all good fun ;)

Innovator said:
Shrimp is on the menu for many fish species. On a personal note, I prefer to setup a biotope display, sticking to a distribution area and making animal selections based on that particular region. There is a lot of give and take to be had in specie interactions so you do have some research ahead of you...but it's all good fun ;)
I agree with you totally but I would really like to take this shrimp back to the LFS.

Back
Top Bottom