Trigger fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moneymike1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone know of a reef safe trigger fish? Looking to start stocking my tank and just wanted to get an idea/opinions of others.

I don't think there is such thing as a reef safe trigger. Triggers have teeth and can crack the shells of crabs to eat them. In addition, they may also eat your shrimps.

I have heard of people keeping blue jaw triggers. They did not touch corals However inverts would go missing.

Good luck.

Thanks a ton just trying to get an idea of what kind of fish are out there haha new to the hobby so doing my research before making any purchase on anything. Haha

Does anyone know of a reef safe trigger fish? Looking to start stocking my tank and just wanted to get an idea/opinions of others.

Ya also know of a guy with bluethroat trigger says it dont touch anything he even has cleaner shrimp and other inverts this would be the only trigger id think about also id buy small so it has time to learn to only eat frozen

Trigger as a rule aren't very reef safe ,... They tend to be rather aggressive and 99% of them will probably demolish any clean up crew you put into your tank including shrimps, snails and the like, after all thats what they normally eat in the wild,... They may actually get along with everything for awhile and lure you in to thinking that they are a nice community fish then one day they go postal and tear things up,, they do tend to leave most corals alone but they do have a tendency to chew on your rocks and sand bed tho. ,.. have you ever heard the saying " does not play well with others".. well, that is a good rule for most triggers.,,great critters with great personalities ,maybe you can find one that will work for you,...best of luck

Thanks for the advice dary! Any advice on what fish would be reef safe for a beginner? Just looking to get some ideas and plan the tank out months ahead to do some research! :)

Thanks for the advice dary! Any advice on what fish would be reef safe for a beginner? Just looking to get some ideas and plan the tank out months ahead to do some research! :)

I'd prob ck out some of the online stores that sell fish,.they have a lot of info that may relate to your tank size ,general care and setup that'll guide you thru ,I'm just a trigger guy so that's why I jumped in....best of luck...it's addicting !

www.liveaquaria.com- has pretty decent info on each fish.
also, as a fellow trigger-keeper, id like to add that triggers will usually forage for food. they will hover around, picking at rocks. also ive noticed that the triggers with more functional mouth placement (picasso, assassi, bursa) will usually pick through the sand and even pick up mouthfuls of it. that and ive kept a total of 4 triggers so far and ive seen them kill a six-line wrasse(same size) and an aussie tusk (slightly smaller). and they dont even hesitate to gulp down ghost shrimp. id def stick with the blue jaw if you absolutely have to have a trigger. if you can, id pass over it though

Ill prob pass over it. I have always wanted a reef tank since I was a child. Now that I have a decent job I can have the tank I have always wished for. What would be a good time to add the clean up crew to the tank?

id wait until after 2-3 months atleast. only because inverts are more sensitive to water params and swings. get it stabilized and running smoothly then add them

Ok sounds good. Do you have I have a clean up crew in a reef tank?

Back
Top Bottom