Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2003, 01:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to astride13
Trigger happy

I know it a no-no, but I really wanted some triggers in my reef tank. I figured at worst if the trigger was eating all my inverts I would just need to buy more and he would be getting a nice, healthy meal. After about two months in the tank, I have not confirmed anything missing. I have only seen him nip at one of the Emerald Crabs once and I have noticed a few empty snail shells. (in the trigger's defense, I saw one hermit steal a shell) I took this picture tonight and managed to get a shrimp, crab, snail and the trigger in one shot.

Old 10-26-2003, 01:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nice looking Blackbelly Trigger (also known as "Bursa"). I too am a HUGE trigger fan, and like you I was able to keep inverts with my Blackbelly, however my Picasso ate the inverts like it was candy. Triggers are just so unpredictable. What size tank is that? I keep mine in a 75 gal. How big is that trigger? Mine is around 3 inches. Anyway nice pic.

Old 10-26-2003, 01:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to astride13
This is in a 55 gallon now, but I am planning to setup a 6 foot long replacement somewhere from 180 to 300 gallons (I have the spot, just looking for the perfect tank). The 55 gallon will then become my fuge and my 48x4x7 fuge will be my frag tank.

The Bursa is only about 1.5 inches long. He is always hiding, but is fun to watch from a distance. If I lose a few inverts here and there it is not a big deal. In this hobby 5 extra dollars a month is not a big deal.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a 180 gallon acrylic tank and I love it.

Spending $5 a month on this hobby is spare change.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to TriggerHappy Send a message via MSN to TriggerHappy Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerHappy
Nice name for you post... I am gonna get some triggers in my new tank soon, but I just put in a couple crabs and snails, but i'm not too worried, I think they will not bother them too much...we'll see. I used to have triggers with tangs and clowns no problem

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
P-H 8.2 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10-15ppm
Crushed Coral 60lbs
1 MaxiJet 1200 PH, 1 ZooMed PH, XP2 Filstar

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day."
Dean Martin.
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trigger

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com