Tring to help stepmom 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueBubbles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started the curing of the rock. But I have another question. Daddy is going to get a "cleaning crew"(what is this?) for her tank. He wants me to ask what should he get. I told him what you guys and gals said about getting live things. But you know how parents are:silly:. Also I started the curing on the rock but should I put in a raw shrimp??? I noticed that that is sugested to do that on cycling a tank. Will this work on the rock too??

:(Ok got bad news today, she spiked out at 590. Tests show that her pancerous(sp?) has completly quit working. That on top of her insulin resentant is not good. :(

Aww BB I am soooo sorry to hear about your mom :( Prayers go out to her and your family .
Just know that they can give an enzyme and insulin if your pancreas quits ... most can live a normal life on that .
BB yes the shrimp will also help with the lr cycling :)
As for the CUC :
BB's Dad . Please do not add any thing to the tank just yet once you cycle and do your first H20 change and test again for stability you can add it .. Your clean up crew should consist of a few snails (nasserious, turbos and a few hermits ) be sure that if you get hermits that they have extra shells to move to for when they out grow thier current homes ...
It can take 4-8 weeks to completly cycle a tank it should look something like this Cycling just watch your perameters ....
Ammonia will rise and fall you want this at 0 (this is the start of your cycle) Ammonia is the most toxic to fish
NitrIte will rise and fall you want this at 0 this is the biproduct of ammonia and is still toxic to fish
NitrAtes will rise you want these less than 20ppm for corals still toxic but less so than the above 2 .You can do a H20 change to reduce .After your 1st H20 change monitor for an addtional week and add your clean up crew , continue with weekly water changes and monitor perameters .. Once you add something you will experience a mini cycle but once all go back to 0 you can add your 1st fish :) about 6 -8 weeks from your start up is about right :) .

BB is talking about curing the rock (hopefully in a separate tub/tank), not the main (correct)?

The tank is somewhat establsihed at this point. BB, you are curing the rock in another container, right?

A clean up crew should consist of a few type of snails. You may want to check out ReefCleaners.org - Home run by John Maloney ( a regular here). Click on the custom clean up crews and send him inforamtion about yoru tank. He'll get back to you with a list if items in stock to make up a clean up crew. The prices are quite good, but shipping always eats that up.

BB, sorry to heaer about your step-mom's relapse. Just when it seemed she was coming home too. Hang in there.

Yeah the rock is being cured in a 5 gal bucket with a bubble stone.
The rock is a redish color.
I'm sorry that I haven't responded sooner. She's home and is resting. I'm staying here afew more days to help her.

Sorry my Salt water knowledge is lacking bluebubbles, I just wanted to say hi and let you know I'm happy your step-mom is home. Good luck getting that rock cured.

A "cleanup crew" is just shrimp, snails or other types of animals that eat algea and food from the substrate and rocks, those links are really helpful if you check them out in detail.

Back
Top Bottom