Troubled thoughts with Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VinnyP

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a 12 gallon tank and just have a HOB filter with a filter pad carbon and biomax. I want to start doing Carbon and GFO but stumped if I should just put the two in a filter bag and put it in the HOB filter or I was thinking of buying BulkReefSupply Carbon and GFO Reactor. Will the carbon and GFO do fine in the HOB filter of should I get the BRS Reactor

VinnyP said:
So I have a 12 gallon tank and just have a HOB filter with a filter pad carbon and biomax. I want to start doing Carbon and GFO but stumped if I should just put the two in a filter bag and put it in the HOB filter or I was thinking of buying BulkReefSupply Carbon and GFO Reactor. Will the carbon and GFO do fine in the HOB filter of should I get the BRS Reactor

A reactor will do a much better and efficient job. They are pretty cheap, about the price of a cheapish HOB filter and you will get much better results.

If you plan on running carbon and GFO i highly suggest the dual reactor so you can easily change the carbon and GFO separately. Will save you money and much easier to change out media. The single works just as well but requires you to change the carbon and Gfo at the same time. Gfo has a longer lifespan than carbon so this make it somewhat wasteful, just to let you know. Im not sure the price difference but I'm guessing it probably 20 bucks difference or so.

Yeah it's about 20 bucks difference but I was thinking of running them both together and just changing them once a month to make things easier. And as for the dual reactor I have read issues because the flow had to be low for the GFO which then isn't ideal for the carbon. I'm just thinking of going with the single reactor mixing carbon and GFO together and changing out once a month and plus I don't have to mess with flow to get the right tumble.

Also, if you try to run carbon with GFO in the same reactor the carbon will often grind the much softer GFO into mud and it'll seep into the tank. Yuck! lol

But if I mix them together and pack them tight with the foam pads no tumble so no grinding?

VinnyP said:
But if I mix them together and pack them tight with the foam pads no tumble so no grinding?

Yes but it also clogs much faster and needs changed more often. Which i why i suggested the duel as being more efficient.

Yes the the carbon will experience lower flow but it does not make it ineffective, it will still do the job.

I run the single stage on my tank mixing carbon and the GFO, I should have gotten the dual or 2 singles. But thats just my opinion, i just hate replacing both at the same time, Gfo will last twice as long as carbon and it a lot pricier so i hate to waste.

My understanding also is that GFO works most efficiently when it tumbles. (I am not running it, but a reactor is on my wish list.) My personal opinion is that a reactor would be overkill in a 12 gallon tank. I would run it in the HOB filter if I were in your situation.

That's what I was thinking to on the over kill and glad someone else said it, pluse as of now I don't have huge algae problems and my water is pretty clear so my HOB filter has to be doing something right. But putting the 2 carbon and GFO in the HOB filter you think will do a good enough job?

I'll be honest. I was running my GFO in filter floss while my dual reactor was down. It was a mess. It turned into a giant clump of crap and didn't do anything productive. GFO should be run in a reactor.

Ok I'm not hesitant to get the reactor, so since its only a small tank should I not have to run as much carbon and GFO, and what do you think is better running them seperetly or mixed together. I am planning on getting the deluxe single reactor from BRS plus I will one day be upgrading tanks and can use it then.

You would be perfectly fine running carbon in your HOB and GFO in a reactor. Just tell the guys at BRS your tank size and ask for their recommendation. You won't need to run a lot of it at once. A container should last a long time.

Id run a tad more than a tablespoon of gfo. Good starting point if it isnt enough or too much. Ill measure mine when i change it...jist kida been eyeballing it.

I was wondering if I get the reactor and run the GFO at the bottom and the carbon up top between the pads, because I really just want to get rid of the HOB filter can I put the carbon in a filter sock Inbetween the foam pads....? Easier maintanence I'm thinking just an idea

Just get the dual reactor. The more you try to complicate things the more can go wrong. And you wont put anything in a sock in the reactor it needs to be loose so it can 'tumble' inside the tube.

I don't want to go with the dual reactor tho because of carbon and GFO having different flow rates and can't afford 2 singles right now, and of I put the carbon in the filter sock carbon is not suppose to tumble anyway only the GFO which would be at the bottom where it could tumble

So I'm asking, you think that work fine with the GFO on bottom able to tumble and carbon in the sock in between the pads for easier maintenance since it changes out quicker than GFO....... Thanks for the help

Well, I don't think I'd promote it but in theory it could work. I just see issues with it clogging easier with 2 types of stuff in there. Might also run into problems with changing just the carbon. But then again, all maybes.

Back
Top Bottom