Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Troubled thoughts with Filtration

So I have a 12 gallon tank and just have a HOB filter with a filter pad carbon and biomax. I want to start doing Carbon and GFO but stumped if I should just put the two in a filter bag and put it in the HOB filter or I was thinking of buying BulkReefSupply Carbon and GFO Reactor. Will the carbon and GFO do fine in the HOB filter of should I get the BRS Reactor

Old 07-13-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyP
So I have a 12 gallon tank and just have a HOB filter with a filter pad carbon and biomax. I want to start doing Carbon and GFO but stumped if I should just put the two in a filter bag and put it in the HOB filter or I was thinking of buying BulkReefSupply Carbon and GFO Reactor. Will the carbon and GFO do fine in the HOB filter of should I get the BRS Reactor
A reactor will do a much better and efficient job. They are pretty cheap, about the price of a cheapish HOB filter and you will get much better results.

If you plan on running carbon and GFO i highly suggest the dual reactor so you can easily change the carbon and GFO separately. Will save you money and much easier to change out media. The single works just as well but requires you to change the carbon and Gfo at the same time. Gfo has a longer lifespan than carbon so this make it somewhat wasteful, just to let you know. Im not sure the price difference but I'm guessing it probably 20 bucks difference or so.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah it's about 20 bucks difference but I was thinking of running them both together and just changing them once a month to make things easier. And as for the dual reactor I have read issues because the flow had to be low for the GFO which then isn't ideal for the carbon. I'm just thinking of going with the single reactor mixing carbon and GFO together and changing out once a month and plus I don't have to mess with flow to get the right tumble.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, if you try to run carbon with GFO in the same reactor the carbon will often grind the much softer GFO into mud and it'll seep into the tank. Yuck! lol
Old 07-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

But if I mix them together and pack them tight with the foam pads no tumble so no grinding?
Old 07-14-2012, 01:15 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyP
But if I mix them together and pack them tight with the foam pads no tumble so no grinding?
Yes but it also clogs much faster and needs changed more often. Which i why i suggested the duel as being more efficient.

Yes the the carbon will experience lower flow but it does not make it ineffective, it will still do the job.

I run the single stage on my tank mixing carbon and the GFO, I should have gotten the dual or 2 singles. But thats just my opinion, i just hate replacing both at the same time, Gfo will last twice as long as carbon and it a lot pricier so i hate to waste.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:30 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

My understanding also is that GFO works most efficiently when it tumbles. (I am not running it, but a reactor is on my wish list.) My personal opinion is that a reactor would be overkill in a 12 gallon tank. I would run it in the HOB filter if I were in your situation.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's what I was thinking to on the over kill and glad someone else said it, pluse as of now I don't have huge algae problems and my water is pretty clear so my HOB filter has to be doing something right. But putting the 2 carbon and GFO in the HOB filter you think will do a good enough job?
Old 07-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'll be honest. I was running my GFO in filter floss while my dual reactor was down. It was a mess. It turned into a giant clump of crap and didn't do anything productive. GFO should be run in a reactor.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok I'm not hesitant to get the reactor, so since its only a small tank should I not have to run as much carbon and GFO, and what do you think is better running them seperetly or mixed together. I am planning on getting the deluxe single reactor from BRS plus I will one day be upgrading tanks and can use it then.

Tags
filtration, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com