True or false

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes it is. When you introduce two clowns into your tank the bigger one is usually the female. If they are the same size they can fight over which one gets to be the female.

Elmo1287 said:
S it true clown fish can be either sex?

Yep as nikki stated.

Also clownfish are all born as males. When they are adults, the largest and the most dominant fish of the group will undergo a sex change, and become a female. The second largest usually becomes the breeding male, while all the other fish remains juveniles and gender-neutral. If the breeding female disappears, the breeding male will change to a female. As stated the female is usually much larger. When pairing is best to buy a smaller clown then the one you would currently have so the dominance fighting is not very severe before the smaller clown usually giving in quickly and becoming the male.

I think i worded that right. Kind of confusing clowns are just strange in about every way.

Oh btw its important to note that once female they cannot revert back to male.

That's weird I think mine are both about the same size right now

Elmo1287 said:
That's weird I think mine are both about the same size right now

Then its likely they are both juveniles. They will establish sex in the weeks to come. Usually the submissive clown (male) will begin flashing the other clown or twitching in front of it to show submission. From then on they will establish sexual roles and begin the physical change to female and the dominant male.

It will take awhile before a size change will be noticed. My female in my 29g is about double the size of the male. Yet both about the same age.

Well I was just shining my flashlight on my recorder/ phone didn't think anything interesting was gonna happen cause last thing I recorded stop cause the banded coral shrimp became camera shy

Elmo1287 said:
Well I was just shining my flashlight on my recorder/ phone didn't think anything interesting was gonna happen cause last thing I recorded stop cause the banded coral shrimp became camera shy

Lol yeah i was about to say screw it because i wasnt seeing or hearing much besides rock and bubbles but the you through that in there and it made the movie lol infact that should be the title lol. But yep spawning is a cool thing to see, lots of weird and interesting things happen in out tanks at night. Moonlights can really make night time viewing fun and much easier than shinning a bright bulky flashlight around.

Yeah it was pretty cool every time I look into my tank I see something different

Back
Top Bottom