Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-01-2005, 01:21 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
something seems weird for sure. From your description it sounds like your tank is going through another cycle but from your description of previous events I can't put my finger on anything that would cause a second cycle. Second cycles are typically caused from one of two events. A sudden and large increase in the amount of ammonia produced in your tank. Either from a large animal dying and decaying (you removed your corals so it shouldn't be them) or from a sudden increase in tank stocking. The second is from some chemical imbalance destroying the denitrifying bacteria in your tank. It would seem like the second cause is the more likely just from your description but what that could be I'm really not sure.

Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 01:26 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
why is my tank cycling anyway? ,my tank has been up and running for about a year, the only thing I did was one by one every couple of weeks take off one of the hang on filters as I added a wet and dry, I did remove the balls and replaced them with rock ,seems like ever since this I've had a problem, I even just for the heck of it put the hang ons back on so now I have a filter with bio wheels, another filter no bio wheels just a carbon filter plus the wet and dry
If I would at least show some nitrites I would under stand that for what ever reason i'm cycling again but no nitrites, well I did see some nitrites about two month ago when I first added the filter but they went to 0, have not had any for a few months, the only reason I started doing double the amount of water changes was per the instructions on all the test it said to do a daily water change for ammonia but even wiht the water changes nothing had changed ,stuck at .25, not going up or down and its been two months

Mercury64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 02:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a feeling it's the additives you are adding that is giving you the false readings. I would stop adding chemicals and then test. Your switching out filters could cause a spike but, could have been controlled with a water change. The biological filter would have compensated for the spike if given time. I understand your concern with your fish but, PWC's would have been enough. If your still adding stuff to the tank to control ammonia, stop. Give the tank a few days to adjust and test again. As long as your fish are doing well.
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 04:49 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Did you add anything like Ammolock ? I did that once and got weird reading for a long time.
JG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 04:56 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
If you pulled off your old filtration system and put in a new one the new filter system doesn't have the bacteria build up that your old one had. Because you removed some of the ammo converting bacteria when you removed your filter you started a cycle of building ammo so that you can build the bacteria. If you added Prime (is that an ammonia blocker?) that is probably causing false readings on your test kits. Does that allow the bacteria to continue to build? Hmmm... Anyway that's my take on it. Keep up with water changes and your fish will be fine. You have plenty of established live rock in your system which should begin to assume the load from your old filtration system causing a shortened less severe cycle.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 06:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ammonia to Nitrite bacteria is different than Nitrite to Nitrate bacteria. 'though...both are aerobic.

Is it possible that something damaged one population, and left the 2nd population less damaged?

This would result in a weak population of ammonia eaters producing a little nitrite...then the nitrite eaters immediately removing all the nitrite so that it is unmeasurable.

No matter what has caused it, it is a situation that isn't stable and will fix itself. Stop adding funky chemicals and just wait. The situation has to improve. Don't remove any more filtration material, then only do so very slowly.

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com