Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2005, 01:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

TRUE OR False

Was told by a few fish stores that it is impossible to have ammonia if your nitrites are o
If you show 0 nitrites but show ammonia then this is a false reading from something , either a bad test kit or chemicals added to your tank causing a false reading ,in fact some even advised me they never check ammonia unless they have nitrites

Old 02-01-2005, 01:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

False I believe the bacteria can convert the ammonia to nitrite as fast as its produced. I thought I heard that somewhere or from someone. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 02-01-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You want ammonia and nitrites to read 0 on any test kit you have. If you get a reading on any consumer grade test kit, your tank is not cycled.

That does not mean that they are NONE in the water, just that the ammount of total ammonia and nitrites is so low it is undetectable. In an established tank, the ammonia gets converted to nitrites and then converted to nitrates with so much effeciency you get the 0 readings. There could acoutlyy be 0.05ppm in the area directly around fish waste, however that is nothing to worry about, as it will get processed almost instantly. This is not a problem with test kits, they are not designed to pickup such miniscule readings.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 01:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok heres the thing, my ammonia has been reading .25 for two months now, I've been doing water changes every week changing about 15 / 20 gal a week now for the last month because I show ammonia but no nitrites at all, the only thing I did was add a better filter, add a skimmer, if anything made my system better for the fish but yet I keep showing ammonia but no nitrites at all and I used several kits to test in case one was bad
All three fish stores keep telling me the same thing, thers no way you can have this ammonia and no nitrites at all so i'm lost
Old 02-01-2005, 01:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank specs? Size, fish, how much LR, type of equipment, feeding schedule...

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 01:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Bet its a bum test kit. Can you take your water to your LFS for testing?
Old 02-01-2005, 01:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a 125 gal tank ,about 125/150 live rock, for fish I have four tangs and a squrrial fish
Old 02-01-2005, 02:02 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

If your tank is cycling it is quite possible to have ammonia and no Nitrites. Here's the denitrification process in a nushell. Animals give off ammonia. Bacteria converts that ammonia to nitrites. different bacteria converts the nitrites to nitrates. and a third bacteria converst the nitrates to... ACK. ... somthing else that leaves you tank through gas exchange

those forms of bacteria don't just come with your tank, they have to be cultured. If there is something preventing that first level of bacteria from being created, then there is nothing to convert the ammonia into nitrites.

Now if you're still cycling... STOP changing water. the bacteria needs a high level of ammonia to become established. (if you have fish in your tank and it's not cycled you need to get them out. return them to the LFS or find a friend who can hold them for you.) For some more information you can read an article we have here on How Ammonia is converted to Nitrates, that should give you plenty of information.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

already did this ,they also show .25 plus I bought three different kits ,They only thing I can think of was I attemted to do a few easy corals, they died ,I took them out ,im talking mushrooms and polyps ,I did add some of the coral addatives and calcium, also added some prime when I saw ammonia so I dont know if this can affect the test and for how long, at one time a did not add anything for two days , rechecked and still showed .25 ammonia but never show any nitrites, store says does not make sense
Old 02-01-2005, 02:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok I will stop the water changes ,the thing is after two months though you think I would see some nitrites but not seeing any, also whould I still keep adding something like prime while cycling so I dont loose any fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com