Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2006, 05:38 PM   #1
RTV
Aquarium Advice Regular

TRUE or FALSE- Naso Tang

I'd like to purchase a male Naso Tang for my 125- I have received conflicting information from 2 local fish stores so, I bring the situation to you the experts:

Store # 1 has a juvenile Naso (2-3") that they are telling me is male- said he will develop the streamers on his fin as he matures

Store #2 also has a number of Naso Tangs somewhat larger (4-5")- none of their Tang's have the streamers as of yet and this store tells me it is not possible to determine the gender of the fish until the streamers emerge

So, what store is not being entirely truthful in order to make the sale????

Old 09-25-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Here is a pic from liveaquaria.com:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=357
it might help.....
The Naso Tang Male will come with short steamers on it's tail which will grow to be much longer with time. Females lack these streamers.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:21 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Store #2 sounds more correct. #1 cannot possibly know if those 2-3" nasos are males yet. Either misinformed or lying to you. Most likely, misinformed. Of course, I'm optimistic about folks.

I'd almost think that at 5", males would have at least developed the beginnings of a streamer.

I'd say get the smaller one and make it a crap shoot. Go blond if possible. More expensive though. I just got a 2 1/2" for $39 bucks though.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:31 PM   #4
RTV
Aquarium Advice Regular

good advice- my only reservation with the smaller one is that I'm not convinced its been at the store very long - they say 2 weeks but, I was there a week ago and didn't see it (I could've just missed him) the others I have seen for a couple of weeks and know they are eating and appear healthy- the little one is $60 and the bigger ones at store #2 are 75....I'm thinking it may be worth the extra 15 dollars to ensure a healthy fish.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:38 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I'd still take the smaller and QT it for 3-4 weeks anyway. I'm believing the larger ones aren't males.

You do QT.... right? One infected fish, and you'd be a believer like me. Killed 9 fish years ago.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:44 PM   #6
RTV
Aquarium Advice Regular

still have the old 46 gal running for that purpose 8)
Old 09-25-2006, 10:55 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Cool. You've got the time to try the new, smaller one IMO.

Good luck with whatever way you go, but I got a feeling the larger are females. Maybe someone had a tang that developed into a male and can tell us how large it was when it happened..

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:54 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
If they have been at the store that long, make sure you see it eat. That is the big problem with getting small naso's. It is a crapshoot. If you see it eating at the store, you should be ok.

Tags
naso, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com