TRUE or FALSE- Naso Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RTV

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'd like to purchase a male Naso Tang for my 125- I have received conflicting information from 2 local fish stores so, I bring the situation to you the experts:

Store # 1 has a juvenile Naso (2-3") that they are telling me is male- said he will develop the streamers on his fin as he matures

Store #2 also has a number of Naso Tangs somewhat larger (4-5")- none of their Tang's have the streamers as of yet and this store tells me it is not possible to determine the gender of the fish until the streamers emerge

So, what store is not being entirely truthful in order to make the sale????

Store #2 sounds more correct. #1 cannot possibly know if those 2-3" nasos are males yet. Either misinformed or lying to you. Most likely, misinformed. Of course, I'm optimistic about folks.

I'd almost think that at 5", males would have at least developed the beginnings of a streamer.

I'd say get the smaller one and make it a crap shoot. Go blond if possible. More expensive though. I just got a 2 1/2" for $39 bucks though.

good advice- my only reservation with the smaller one is that I'm not convinced its been at the store very long - they say 2 weeks but, I was there a week ago and didn't see it (I could've just missed him) the others I have seen for a couple of weeks and know they are eating and appear healthy- the little one is $60 and the bigger ones at store #2 are 75....I'm thinking it may be worth the extra 15 dollars to ensure a healthy fish.

I'd still take the smaller and QT it for 3-4 weeks anyway. I'm believing the larger ones aren't males.

You do QT.... right? :soap: :roll: One infected fish, and you'd be a believer like me. Killed 9 fish years ago.

still have the old 46 gal running for that purpose 8)

Cool. You've got the time to try the new, smaller one IMO.

Good luck with whatever way you go, but I got a feeling the larger are females. Maybe someone had a tang that developed into a male and can tell us how large it was when it happened..

If they have been at the store that long, make sure you see it eat. That is the big problem with getting small naso's. It is a crapshoot. If you see it eating at the store, you should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom