Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2008, 12:23 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

You may want to reverse your order and get 50 pounds of base and 25 pounds of LR. The base rock will be live (coated with bacteria) in short order. It will be covered in coraline and other growth in a few months. I got my base from thatpetplace.com. Search for 'reef rock'.

I got my initial batch of Fiji LR from FlyingFishExpress who was bought by Drs. Foster and Smith. That was was some great rock.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:47 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Don't forget the savings of mixing live and dry base rock. In a few months, you won't be able to tell the difference. Cured or uncured, still consider mixing it. Easy to glue pieces together to make neat structures (swim thru, arches, etc) when they're dry too (base).

If uncured, you can cycle the tank with it too.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

yeah I think im gonna go with liveaquaria for my uncured LR. @5 lbs every one keeps telling me then 50 lbs of base rock. sounds good to me. they have some nice fiji peices. I will be getting a RO/DI system in a month or two will my rocks be safe until then using water conditioners. I need an inexpensive RO unit that I can hook up to my faucet. any suggestions?
Old 01-26-2008, 04:43 PM   #14
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Another vote for Liveaquaria. Their figi LR is the best IMO

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

We just placed an order for some of the Lalo rock from LiveAquaria.com and it is currently curing. Look like some really awesome rock, but I'll have to wait until its cured to say for sure. One particularly large piece has tons of stuff on it. Once its cured, I'll get some pics up.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:31 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

www.liveaquaria.com
www.reefermadness.us
www.tampabaysaltwater.com
www.liverocknreef.com
www.marinedepotlive.com
www.ebay.com
www.waltsmith.com

I could keep going. There are several good sites out there for LR. It really depends on what stage your tank is in (cycling vs. established). I always suggest going with a company that offers over-night shipping vs. two-day air shipping. There will be considerabbly less die-off with next day shipping. However, if you are startring up a tank or cycling a tank then two-day is fine. You do not need to pay the extra shipping for overnight and the die-off will help feed the tank's cycle. I live in the Twin Cities Metro area in Minnesota and LR ranges from $7.99-$10.99/lbs with a large varience in quality. Buying online can save a lot of $$$, even with shipping, especially if you buy in larger quantities.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:56 PM   #17

thanks again im gonna get my LR from liveaquaria and order some base rock off of ebay. I'm gonna get uncured since I am stating off new. Quick question if I'm gonna cure the LR in my tank when should I add the LS or should I put it in the tank the same time while I'm curing my rocks. I think that's a bad idea but when will it be a good time to add the sand. And if possible can someone send me a link to curing rocks in a new tank or something. I usually check about.com alot of answers there.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:22 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

When starting a new tank buying ucrured LR is a good option. I would add the LS and the rock at the same time. I would add the sand and the rock, then research "fishless" cycling. You can find info in the ARTICLES setion at the top of the page.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando View Post
When starting a new tank buying ucrured LR is a good option. I would add the LS and the rock at the same time. I would add the sand and the rock, then research "fishless" cycling. You can find info in the ARTICLES setion at the top of the page.

so what about the die-off that occurs wouldn't that get into my sand bed cause problems. If not just made my life much simpler. I really didnt want to have the rocks in there for a month by thereselves
Old 01-28-2008, 09:56 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

I like www.drsfostersmith.com. I just bought some Lalo rock from them and curing it in a trashcan. They say for Lalo it takes anywhere from 1 - 3 weeks. They also send a 'curing document so it's easy to do. You just change 100% water twice a week until there is no more ammonia (or it doesn't stink) You also have to get a Nylon brush and scrub it when you do the water change.

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com