Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Trustworthy Live rock dealers

Hey guys I'm about to order my live rock in the next week or so anyone know any good sites that are trustworthy and that they have bought and were good. I'm kinda skeptical about the whole situaution. Please help been to alot of sites was thinking about them doctor people forget there name. But any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Drs Foster and Smith is who you are refering too. Go to LiveAquaria.com , as that is there website. Order from them and you will no Longer be skeptical, they are great.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:11 PM   #3

Premium Aquatics is nice and Reefer Madness is pretty awesome as well. I am going to order LS and a couple pieces of LR covered in coralline algae from Reefer Madness soon to seed my dead rock and dead sand.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:24 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Both of the suggestions are great one! If you would like some base rock that is not live Marcorocks.com is a great place to get rock. No matter how fast the shipping is for the LR that you buy you are going to have die off so be prepared for that.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another vote for Premium Aquatics. If you can't actually see the rock, it's nice to be able to call someone up and talk to them while they're standing there looking at the rock, describing it to you. I got all my rock (cured) that way and it came as described. If you live by an airport that's serviced by SouthWest, you can have it delivered airport-to-airport and get it really quick!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:31 PM   #6

thanks everyone checking them out now. But since im setting up a new tank is it a good idea to get uncured rock and cure it myself much cheaper and seems easy also what do you think how long will the process be i am getting some base 25 lbs rock also. And about 50 lbs of live rock how long you think it will take the base rock to become LR? Thanks again really need help I'm stumped on this one
Old 01-24-2008, 11:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

could take a year could take 6 months it all depends on your tank.

I bought some FIJI from Dr fosters&Smith it had great coraline algae coverage and good quality rock but big chunks and hard to arrange. Then I added more that I bought from INLAND Aquatics it was cheaper and better sizes and shapes but It looked as if it came out of the ocean a day before they shipped stinky smelly spongey wormy funky stuff which is taking longer to cure and had no coraline coverage at all. I guess you get what you pay for. And talking to someone on the phone verses just clicking order on a computer is a good idea.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:51 PM   #8

6 months or so is not bad. Live aquaria has some good peices also I think i will be gettin from there probably uncured Can and how can i cure it in my tank
Old 01-25-2008, 12:11 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think LiveAquaria is a good choice they are probably the mose reputable supplier in the hobby for sure. I bought my first live rock from them and used it to cycle my tank. Using live rock to cycle your tank is way better than liquid ammonia or fish food to cycle your tank because you get the bacteria colonies that come with the rock and the dead stuff creates the ammonia to grow whatever bacteria didn't die during shipping. Just put it in your tank with fresh RO/DI saltwater and watch the cycle process with your test kit. About 4-6weeks.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:10 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I bought from marcorocks and was super pleased. The rock is super porous and light, considering the size. I bought 150Lbs.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com