Trustworthy Live rock dealers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigjoeybx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys I'm about to order my live rock in the next week or so anyone know any good sites that are trustworthy and that they have bought and were good. I'm kinda skeptical about the whole situaution. Please help been to alot of sites was thinking about them doctor people forget there name. But any help would be appreciated.

Drs Foster and Smith is who you are refering too. Go to LiveAquaria.com , as that is there website. Order from them and you will no Longer be skeptical, they are great.

Premium Aquatics is nice and Reefer Madness is pretty awesome as well. I am going to order LS and a couple pieces of LR covered in coralline algae from Reefer Madness soon to seed my dead rock and dead sand.

Both of the suggestions are great one! If you would like some base rock that is not live Marcorocks.com is a great place to get rock. No matter how fast the shipping is for the LR that you buy you are going to have die off so be prepared for that.

Another vote for Premium Aquatics. If you can't actually see the rock, it's nice to be able to call someone up and talk to them while they're standing there looking at the rock, describing it to you. I got all my rock (cured) that way and it came as described. If you live by an airport that's serviced by SouthWest, you can have it delivered airport-to-airport and get it really quick!

thanks everyone checking them out now. But since im setting up a new tank is it a good idea to get uncured rock and cure it myself much cheaper and seems easy also what do you think how long will the process be i am getting some base 25 lbs rock also. And about 50 lbs of live rock how long you think it will take the base rock to become LR? Thanks again really need help I'm stumped on this one

could take a year could take 6 months it all depends on your tank.

I bought some FIJI from Dr fosters&Smith it had great coraline algae coverage and good quality rock but big chunks and hard to arrange. Then I added more that I bought from INLAND Aquatics it was cheaper and better sizes and shapes but It looked as if it came out of the ocean a day before they shipped stinky smelly spongey wormy funky stuff which is taking longer to cure and had no coraline coverage at all. I guess you get what you pay for. And talking to someone on the phone verses just clicking order on a computer is a good idea.

6 months or so is not bad. Live aquaria has some good peices also I think i will be gettin from there probably uncured Can and how can i cure it in my tank

I think LiveAquaria is a good choice they are probably the mose reputable supplier in the hobby for sure. I bought my first live rock from them and used it to cycle my tank. Using live rock to cycle your tank is way better than liquid ammonia or fish food to cycle your tank because you get the bacteria colonies that come with the rock and the dead stuff creates the ammonia to grow whatever bacteria didn't die during shipping. Just put it in your tank with fresh RO/DI saltwater and watch the cycle process with your test kit. About 4-6weeks.

I bought from marcorocks and was super pleased. The rock is super porous and light, considering the size. I bought 150Lbs.

You may want to reverse your order and get 50 pounds of base and 25 pounds of LR. The base rock will be live (coated with bacteria) in short order. It will be covered in coraline and other growth in a few months. I got my base from thatpetplace.com. Search for 'reef rock'.

I got my initial batch of Fiji LR from FlyingFishExpress who was bought by Drs. Foster and Smith. That was was some great rock.

Don't forget the savings of mixing live and dry base rock. In a few months, you won't be able to tell the difference. Cured or uncured, still consider mixing it. Easy to glue pieces together to make neat structures (swim thru, arches, etc) when they're dry too (base).

If uncured, you can cycle the tank with it too.

yeah I think im gonna go with liveaquaria for my uncured LR. @5 lbs every one keeps telling me then 50 lbs of base rock. sounds good to me. they have some nice fiji peices. I will be getting a RO/DI system in a month or two will my rocks be safe until then using water conditioners. I need an inexpensive RO unit that I can hook up to my faucet. any suggestions?

We just placed an order for some of the Lalo rock from LiveAquaria.com and it is currently curing. Look like some really awesome rock, but I'll have to wait until its cured to say for sure. One particularly large piece has tons of stuff on it. Once its cured, I'll get some pics up.

www.liveaquaria.com
www.reefermadness.us
www.tampabaysaltwater.com
www.liverocknreef.com
www.marinedepotlive.com
www.ebay.com
www.waltsmith.com

I could keep going. There are several good sites out there for LR. It really depends on what stage your tank is in (cycling vs. established). I always suggest going with a company that offers over-night shipping vs. two-day air shipping. There will be considerabbly less die-off with next day shipping. However, if you are startring up a tank or cycling a tank then two-day is fine. You do not need to pay the extra shipping for overnight and the die-off will help feed the tank's cycle. I live in the Twin Cities Metro area in Minnesota and LR ranges from $7.99-$10.99/lbs with a large varience in quality. Buying online can save a lot of $$$, even with shipping, especially if you buy in larger quantities.

thanks again im gonna get my LR from liveaquaria and order some base rock off of ebay. I'm gonna get uncured since I am stating off new. Quick question if I'm gonna cure the LR in my tank when should I add the LS or should I put it in the tank the same time while I'm curing my rocks. I think that's a bad idea but when will it be a good time to add the sand. And if possible can someone send me a link to curing rocks in a new tank or something. I usually check about.com alot of answers there.

When starting a new tank buying ucrured LR is a good option. I would add the LS and the rock at the same time. I would add the sand and the rock, then research "fishless" cycling. You can find info in the ARTICLES setion at the top of the page.

When starting a new tank buying ucrured LR is a good option. I would add the LS and the rock at the same time. I would add the sand and the rock, then research "fishless" cycling. You can find info in the ARTICLES setion at the top of the page.

so what about the die-off that occurs wouldn't that get into my sand bed cause problems. If not just made my life much simpler. I really didnt want to have the rocks in there for a month by thereselves

I like www.drsfostersmith.com. I just bought some Lalo rock from them and curing it in a trashcan. They say for Lalo it takes anywhere from 1 - 3 weeks. They also send a 'curing document so it's easy to do. You just change 100% water twice a week until there is no more ammonia (or it doesn't stink) You also have to get a Nylon brush and scrub it when you do the water change.

Back
Top Bottom