Trying to cycle brown stuff is now covering LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emricson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need some help. Im trying to cycle a 29 G tank with 38 lbs of LR. I have two 900 Maxi-Jet PH, and a RemoraC Skimmer. I put the rock in on sunday and have been just testing the water ever since. Now I come home today and there is some brown stuff civering the LR and live sand. What is going on? I tested the Nirtrite and it is 0. I tested the Nritrate and it is 0. Can someone lead me in the right direction. Should this be happening. Help.

I think that I possibly might be running my lights too long. I have them on for 8-10 hours a day and then off the rest.

Brown algae = diatoms. This is almost standard in any new and cycling tank. It will go away eventually, once you get farther into your cycle. Don't worry. :wink:

Most algae will depend primarily on phosphate levels. My cycle started showing brown after about a week. Hermit crabs will keep it from getting out of hand. They wont get it off the glass but will help with the substrate and rock. I use a magnet cleaner for the glass until I can safely add some snails to the mix. As stated above it is natural and will go away as your tank matures

RMPD109 said:
Most algae will depend primarily on phosphate levels.
Usually true in most cases but with diatoms, silicates are the culprit not PO4. Also part and parcel with a new tank though and nothing to be concerned about.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom