Trying to cycle my pod tank :-(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've had the 10g pod tank up and running for about 2 weeks now. I got almost 20lbs of LR and about 10lbs of base rock in there. I have live sand and added some cheato.

I have been testing since I set it up and keep getting ammonia at 1.0ppm but no nitrites yet. I assume the ammonia is from the rock die off, it was out of water for over half an hour and the rock wasn't super clean.

Shouldn't I have gotten trites by now? I've usually gone through mini cycles but never this long.

I'm so not a cycling expert so if anyone has any suggestions please share. :-D

Thanks!!

I've tried Bio Spira by instant ocean to help me out in a similar situation and my levels were on the money within one day. I added one more bottle just to play it safe and I never looked back after that. Granted I had to use the whole bottle cuz I have a 75 gallon tank but I highly recomend it. I know alot of people on here will say it is garbage but it worked for me and I think it's worth a shot. Let me know how it turns out. Good luck

Honestly, I believe ya. LOL The only product I ever used that showed any promise was the BioSpira. But I don't have the $20 right now and I was aiming for an easy regular cycle. lol
Just not sure why I don't have nitrites yet...

That sucks. And I know it's easy for me to say now but I always keep one of the big bottles on hand for emergencies to get me out of a jam. I wish I could help. Did you try to I'm any of the moderators?

Anyone know why I might be stuck in my cycle? Or is this normal? I've always seen nitrites within a week of putting lr in a tank and its now two weeks and it's still 0.

Where are you cycling guru's at? LOL

When I cycled my 10g FW, it took me nearly 3.5 weeks for nitrites to show up, and another week for nitrates. It took almost a month and a half before I made that final 50% water change and got the water to a safe level. I'd suggest just waiting it out. Also, I don't know about the BioSpira, but any chemical I've used besides dechlorinator has caused me major problems. But then again, never used BioSpira...

I've cycled in as few as 3 days and as long as 7. The live rock generally just has die off, I get my ammonia, a slight trite spike and usually have trates pretty early on.

I also used the sand from an established tank as well as new sand.

I'm just surprised at the steady level of ammonia...I'm kinda baffled about the trites. I couldnt have missed it cause then i wouldn't have ammonia. I do have nitrates 10-20 or so.

A stupid question but did someth'n on the LR die like a starfish? The reason I ask is cuz o had a pretty bog starfish that I didn't know die on me mess up my whole tank. I got lazy and Didn't check til it was too late. Long story short ammonia was off the charts everything else was okay. Stress was high too. But I added the bio Spira and I was fine in a couple days. The good bacteria helped alot.

There was ALOT of crap hanging off the rocks so I'm pretty sure thats where the ammonia is coming from. BUT it doesn't go above 1ppm. Weird....I'm gonna test today and see what I get. maybe I'll do a small pwc

What are your nitrate readings? Reason I ask is the tank may be stuck at a plateau right now. There may be enough ammonia consuming bacteria to keep the amm. levels @ 1.0, but not a high enough ammonia level to cause a colony growth spurt. Since the ammonia colony isn't growing, it's not producing extra nitrite, so the next level of nitrite bacteria isn't expanding either but is still processing nitrites which is why your seeing 0.

Ah ha! A possible solution. I'll go test again and see what we have today. Thanks so much for the input, hadn't thought of that. If that's the case do I dose ammonia to the tank?

I would dose it up to around 4ppm to give the colony a jolt and let it cycle out from there.

yep, I think I may do that. I have .5 ammonia, 0 trites and 20 trates currently.

Will dosing ammonia hurt the pods i have and the cheato in the tank?

I think you'll be fine. If the tank is only going to house pods, and your ammonia is already lowering with nitrAtes showing up, you're cycled enough for pods, IMO. Their bioload is negligible.

I've "baked" a live rock in a bucket and had several amphipods survive it. If it were me? I'd roll with it as it is, once your ammonia and nitrItes are at 0.

The ammonia spike will probably nuke the pods unfortunately, I'm not sure about the chaeto. Since you want to keep the pods going I would just continue the waiting game instead of dosing the amm. It may take a few more weeks, but eventually the stuff that is rotting will burn out and the current colony will still be efficient.

Yeah, thats what I was waiting for. lol Guess I'll just be more patient. I have more cheato coming today with pods as well.

Thanks a bunch guys, was just curious if I missed something. :-D

Back
Top Bottom