Trying to figure out the basics - FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baconfingers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys, I’ve been doing my "first timer" research and am looking for some validation if one or two of you would be so kind.

For my first ever tank, I have the budget to buy a 90g-180g tank, and I want to filter w/ LR and sand. I’ll start w/ some live rock, and fill in with dead rock/sand (1.5 lbs of rock per gal) and use a DSB of 4-6".

I’ll take my time cycling, cycle w/ a raw shrimp instead of live fish, and invest in good power heads, lights, protein skimmer. I’ll buy or build a sump. I’ll test regularly and do water changes weekly to start and adjust as needed based on health of the system.

I’ll buy invert friendly fish and not over stock the tank and I’ll gradually introduce each fish in an ideal order while properly acclimating each.

I’ll feed the fish a mixed diet regularly and not dump the water I use to thaw the frozen food into the tank.

I’ll add enough inverts to consume algae. All animals (fish & inverts) will be reef safe so I can add corals later.

After long-term success (1y+) I’ll consider adding coral, and upgrade my lights accordingly.

I live in a condo so a home RO/DI unit is unrealistic, but I’ll make regular trips to the pet store to buy RO for my water changes.

How ambitious is this for a first timer, and am I missing anything?

Thanks!

its very ambitious but its also very right!! stick to this very simple plan you have and you''ll have great success. also welcome to AA! if you haven't seen them yet, there are several stickies in the sw:getting started forum that have some great info in them for new hobbyists. good luck!

ps. check out www.bulkreefsupply.com, they have a pretty wide selection of rodi units that can fit practically every budget/need

Rodi water

I loved to see your first research results, I am a novice too. Just letting you know that I live in an apartment and I run a RODI system in my laundry room, it works perfectly. Also, if you have the option buy the 180 tank, you won't regret it.

Also, if you have the option buy the 180 tank, you won't regret it.
+1 x 1,000. having a larger tank like a 180 not only helps to stabilize and minimize the parameter swings, but it also gives you a TON of stocking options. (tangs, triggers, some groupers, etc.)

thanks. huma i'm reading through the threads in your sig.

as far as triggers and tangs go, wouldn't those be a little risky toward corals and inverts? since i'm new i think a healthy stock of inverts is going to be key for me to control algae and i'd be worried about them getting eaten

if youre looking for sw info in my threads, stick to the 125 build. the 72 is fw. and tangs for the most part are coral and invert friendly. there are a very select few triggers, that have been kept successfully with inverts, however not all of them are invert friendly (or even close) id look at the blue-jaw, or bluethroat, trigger. the pinktail and niger triggers are also options, but they also require bigger tanks (90+ for the bluejaw, 125+ for pinktail and niger)

Very good plan I would be interested to see a build thread when you get around to it :)

Through my travels around the interwebs I have found a number of ro/di units that attach onto the kitchen faucet where the aerator goes. You can also get a hose attachment that will screw into your kitchen faucet that will let you attach any ro/di unit to it.

ok that's great, i'll definitely look into a RO/DI unit then.

here's a question - will i be ok w/o a filter? as i read through various guides, everyone has a different opinion (and some are unclear). plus i still don't understand some of the terms and acronyms used everywhere.

it seems like some people advocate a filter of some sort. i just want to be clear -- do i need a filter if i'm using LR properly? even to start (a lot of guides seem to suggest some kind of filter to start).

In salty tanks the live rock acts as the tanks filter with powerheads providing flow. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using a filter but its not necessary. The nice things about using a filter however is that you can add media to remove phosphates or nitrates to it without needing a reactor as well as it providing some mechanical filtration helping to pull detritus out of the water.

I don't have a power filter on my tank. sure the filter socks technically filter the water, but its not a power filter.

Back
Top Bottom