Trying to get levels right

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anjos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
I've had my 90 gallon DT with a 30 gallon Sump running a carbon sock sponge at the end of the overflow hose and a Red Sea Berlin Protein Skimmer for three weeks now.
I always use RO water for my water changes and have increased the amount I change from 5 gallons on week 1 to 12 galloons on week 3.
I don't have much livestock yet but lots of corals. I will acquire more fish when the environment stabilizes more. I got this tank from someone else who had it established for 8 years and i set it up the same way.
My readings from this morning are as follows:

Temp: 76.5
Salinity:1.025
Calcium:420 PPM
Carbonate Hardness(KH):10 dkh/179 PPM
Phosphate:0.25 PPM
Nitrate:80 PPM

1 clownfish
1 anemone
1 clam
6 peppermint shrimp
10 red leg hermit crabs
2 diamond gobies

I'm mostly concerned with the phosphate and nitrate levels. According to the API Master Reef test kit chart it's not where it's supposed to be.
I don't have an ammonia tester but last week i took a water sample to my local fish store and they told me there's a bit but not much and it will go away after a few water changes.
What should I be doing to reduce those levels before adding more livestock?
Any advice would be gladly appreciated.
Thank you all and Happy New Year !!

Well first off Happy New Year. I don't think the clam an anemone are going to tolerate that high a nitrate level very long. Try changing more water say 20% watch your feedings, clean the filter floss more often you could increase the water flow with a powerhead if you feed frozen rinse the food before feeding.

Thanks for the reply,

I will increase my water changes to 18 gallons (20%) and clean the carbon sponge in sump.
I've been feeding the clownfish rinsed brine shrimp and the invertebrates and gobies about 15 pellets a day.
Should I had a sheet of floss filter on top of water in sump where protein skimmer drains water? Will that help contain bad stuff in going back to the DT?

Could a dead finger coral on a 90 gallon tank that fell of the rock into a hard to reach spot be the cause of high nitrates?
It died about a week ago

Back
Top Bottom