trying to get my sump working? need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrMike2u

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Trying to get my sump working with out any luck... I'm using a lifereef overflow and a mag 9.5 return pump. As you can see from picture my intake has to much water and return side not enough about 3 inches to much in the intake and 3 inches to less in the return. no matter how I adjust the flow I cant get them to switch. the lifereef has a inner and outer box the inner is adjustable up and down. if I adjust to far down letting more water flow it just spits and gurgles inside intake sump area and very noisy splashing water, but then I can adjust the return to correct level but intake is still to high. any ideas????? im lost did I baffle the sump correct?

Attachments

• FINISHED SUMP.jpg
    FINISHED SUMP.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 125
The first set of baffles, does the water flow under the second one, or over? If under, how much space is between the baffle and the bottom of the tank?

And by first set of baffles I meant the 3 on the left... After the skimmer.

The water is going to do this, with the way the baffles are designed... The subsequent chambers after the first cant hold a higher water level than the first, due to gravity. It will fill up until it has a chance to flow downward...

The water is going to do this, with the way the baffles are designed... The subsequent chambers after the first cant hold a higher water level than the first, due to gravity. It will fill up until it has a chance to flow downward...
ok so what your saying is I need at lower baffle 3 and 4?

What is your goal with the sump? You really don't even need baffle 1 and 2, you can have the chambers be the same water height in the first 2 sections. There really isn't a need for an up and over 2 times, as the second set of baffles will act as the bubble trap. Your last, or return, chamber will always be the lowest (keep in mind you will see your evap from this chamber as well)

What is your goal with the sump? You really don't even need baffle 1 and 2, you can have the chambers be the same water height in the first 2 sections. There really isn't a need for an up and over 2 times, as the second set of baffles will act as the bubble trap. Your last, or return, chamber will always be the lowest (keep in mind you will see your evap from this chamber as well)

I was trying to keep intake at 10" for the skimmer to work properly if I lowered baffle 3 and 4 by a few inches would that help my situation?

Baffle 1, as long as its an "over" will be your first chamber depth. If you want 10" of water, make it 10" high. 3 and 4 will be the depth of chamber 2, as long as its equal or less than chamber 1...

Baffle 1, as long as its an "over" will be your first chamber depth. If you want 10" of water, make it 10" high. 3 and 4 will be the depth of chamber 2, as long as its equal or less than chamber 1...

ok then im going to drop baffle 3 and 4 by 2 inches

so intake 10"
fuge 10"
return 9"

is that ok to do?

Yea that should be fine, just keep in mind the water level in the return will most likely (definitely) be lower than the baffle height. This is normal. Also, I assume you designed the sump with enough room for backflow in case of a power outage? Is the tank drilled or is it a HOB overflow?

Yea that should be fine, just keep in mind the water level in the return will most likely (definitely) be lower than the baffle height. This is normal. Also, I assume you designed the sump with enough room for backflow in case of a power outage? Is the tank drilled or is it a HOB overflow?

40 gallon breeder hob overflow

Cool cool good luck!

Was wondering do i need a bubble trap after skimmer/before fuge reference picture baffle'#1,2,3 or can I just remove baffle #2 and #3. And cut and lower baffle #4. Leaving only a bubble trap after fuge/before return reference picture baffles 4,5,6. Thanks mike

You don't NEED 2 bubble traps... Definitely keep the one before the return pump section so no bubbles get into the tank...

Trying to get my sump working with out any luck... I'm using a lifereef overflow and a mag 9.5 return pump. As you can see from picture my intake has to much water and return side not enough about 3 inches to much in the intake and 3 inches to less in the return. no matter how I adjust the flow I cant get them to switch. the lifereef has a inner and outer box the inner is adjustable up and down. if I adjust to far down letting more water flow it just spits and gurgles inside intake sump area and very noisy splashing water, but then I can adjust the return to correct level but intake is still to high. any ideas????? im lost did I baffle the sump correct?

Your sump looks fine all you need to do is raise the skimmer a bit Use egg crate Lowering the baffles will lessen the amount of water volume of the entire system

MrMike I just built a sump identical to yours including mag 9.5 the only difference is my overflow is a hob CPR and it's been running for a couple months now and mine is working perfectly I wonder what's going on how far is your second and fifth chamber off of the bottom my is only about an inch or so

Back
Top Bottom