trying to start a saltwater tank (first time)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moenaise

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had freshwater tanks pretty much most of my life and always wanted to try my hand in the saltwater game. I have been to afraid to start one because people say its so hard. Another reason is it is expensive! So my goal here is to keep it on the cheap side and add to it as I go along. Petco is having a dollar a gallon tank sale and was thinking of getting a 20 gallon long. So here are my thoughts on how I would like to start.
1. 2o gallon long tank
2. Fluval/ aqua clear 70
3. Aqueon 100 watt heater
4. Coralife 30" marine light
5. hydor 425 pump
6. Live sand
7. live rock
8. test kit/chemicals
9.refractometer
10. salt/rodi water from lfs
My goal with this tank is pretty much to have a pair of clown fish and a shrimp and goby with a clean up crew with a few corals. I know I have to cycle the tank and wait about a month before I can add fish or anything. At some point I will also add a skimmer. I have no room for a sump or I would go that route and maybe at some point I may get the room to do so.I'm hoping with weekly water changes and water testing that I can make this work. So I guess my question is, is this doable or should I keep wishing? Thanks in advance for any help.

I'd stick to a pair of clowns for a 20. Other than that, things are pretty realistic. You can get macro or base rock to help on the price as it will become 'live' through the cycle.
In terms of the lighting, coralife units aren't very effective. What kind of corals are you thinking about keeping? This can drastically effect the kind of lighting you need to support them. Check out liveaquaria to help you figure this out if need be.

I'm thinking of some easy corals like pulsing xenia, green star polyps, frog spawn and zoanthid corals. I may also throw some macro algea in there as well because I think it looks kind of nice. I have read online and seen on youtube that these don't need any sort of crazy lighting and I could get away with low-medium light that was the idea for the coralife light. I could go with current marine light from the lfs. My main concern was the filter because I saw most people use sumps and swear by them. So with a pair of clownfish,clean up crew and a cleaner shrimp is there any wiggle room for another fish or star fish? Thanks for the help!

You could get a serpent or bristle starfish in there. Starfish in the hobby are real sketchy in general...most of the ones people feel they have to have simply can't be supported by our systems...many we don't even know what they eat.
Sumps are great, but for a simple and basic system you can get away with what you are describing for a filter. This isn't going to be a system going to ultra low nutrients so you won't need all the bobbles and such to achieve such.
That light should do just fine for your coral goals.

Be sure to research what types of macros you use as some can and will over take your tank rather fast , just be sure you understand all the time involved with keeping things trimmed
this was my first macro tank , between general maintenance (water changes) and grooming the tank I spent about 3hrs a day keeping up with it. but the outcome was well worth it.
img_3398638_0_88d147c774e8df36e446a57be4343843.jpg

this is a good place to start giving you the tools to understand how each macro works
http://marineplantbook.com/
Save

Last edited:
I got my aquarium and its a 20 gallon long. I saw a video of an new hob filter which also does surface filtering. Its called a tidal hob filter. I was wondering if I should try this with a saltwater aquarium and if getting one to big would be to much movement in the water. thanks anyone

saltwater you never can have enough flow , I keep 4 power heads in each tank
just a filter would not give enough circulation in a 20L

Slowly getting the pieces together.
20 gallon long.
Fluval/aqua clear 70 filter.
150 watt heater.
current usa orbit marine light 24-36 inch.
2 hydor 425 pumps.
coralife thermometer.
aqueon hang on glass scraper.
Once I find a stand im going to get live sand, dry rock and premade salt water from lfs then its time cycle. Anything I could be missing?

Back
Top Bottom