Turn over?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guy554

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am in the process of doing a bunch of research and figuring out what I need to by for my 75 gallon show and 40 gallon breeder sump (salt water set up). My question is how many times a day (24 hour period) do u want your tank to turn over?

So I figure about 100 gallons of water. It really comes down to how fast your drain can drain the water into the sump, correct? What is the flow rate of a 75 gallon marine land reef ready tank. I have heard from 500 gph to 900 gph. I guess when I can figure the gph rate on the tank ill he able to figure out my turn over better. Make sense?

So I figure about 100 gallons of water. It really comes down to how fast your drain can drain the water into the sump, correct? What is the flow rate of a 75 gallon marine land reef ready tank. I have heard from 500 gph to 900 gph. I guess when I can figure the gph rate on the tank ill he able to figure out my turn over better. Make sense?

Water turn over is different from filter rate. Basically your turn over is filter GPH (return pump) PLUS the combined flow of your powerheads. Like in my 210, i pump 1800GPH through my sump with a mag 24 return pump but then i have 6000 GPH from 4 koralia 1500 powerheads in the display tank. So my tank in no way could drain 7800 GPH but the turnover in my tank ends up at 37X per hour.

Yea, if its predrilled you will need to find out how many GPH the overflow can take. Then match the return close to that, the more the better obviously but if the overflow cant handle it your tank will overflow.

Yes I understand that, but how do I determine the rate of the tank?

What sized drains do you have, and what type. I.E. is it a drilled tank with a certain sized hole, or a HOB Overflow?

all of them i have seen are in the 500-700 range. if it has a single corner overflow you're probably looking at a 700gph max. I would run a mag 7 (or something in the 700isg gph range) on it because you will lose some gph through the head pressure going back up to the tank and you can always use a ball valve to slow the pump flow down some.

What up. I have the same tank as my DT for years now when I first setup I ran a mag7 with an mp40 flow was great. Now I re did the set up cause I now keep a lot of sps. I now run a eheim 1262 as my return that also feeds two reactors. And went with two mp40's now my flow is crazy and I don't run the mp's at 100%.

Back
Top Bottom