Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2002, 09:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Two Questions

1. What is causing foam to come out of small overflow hole in top of holding cup of skimmer?

2. It looks to me that the surface of my water is not getting enough circulation. There appears to be a lot of little "thingies" floating around on top. I have an unused small powerhead...should this be placed just below the surface of the water? I have my larger surge pump at one end of the tank about 1/3 of the way from the top.

Thanks.

Old 08-02-2002, 10:07 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
1. ? Is your holding cup full? ? What type of skimmer do you have again? Is it alot of just a small amount? When I ran a skimmer I had a small amount of "GUNK" collect around a hole on the lid for the collection cup. I think its normal for that to occur as long as its not overflowing out of it and making a huge mess.

2. If there are things on floating on the surface then I suspect you need more surface agitation. If possible adjust the PH's output so it causes ripples (small waves) on the surface. This will increase your gas exchange. If you have a spair PH lying around yes use it aswell. I put my PH's in the tank and angle the output so that they ripple the water surface aswell as provide water movement.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 04:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Two Questions

The foam coming out of the holding cup is a small amount. I can wipe it off easily. Just wondering what was causing. I empty the cup most days.

Have also put in small extra PH which I had on hand for surface water.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2002, 04:41 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Re: Two Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettWalker
The foam coming out of the holding cup is a small amount. I can wipe it off easily. Just wondering what was causing. I empty the cup most days.
Not sure exactly what would cause it but I am expecting simple liquid dynamics. The foam is toward the top of the collection cup when it enters and additional foam will cause the existing foam that is near the top to be pushed UP and to the SIDE. As this foam is being pushed it is getting over the vent hole and some is being pushed up out of that.

Thats my "GUESS".

I saw this happen on one of my skimmers. Wonder if this is something that other skimmer users have seen.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 04:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Two Questions

Aaron,
I remember seeing this question come up before in one of our "fishy" :P groups, but at the time I didn't pay much attention since I was not having the problem. That's why I was wondering what was causing it now all of a sudden.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com