TWO Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matman

Aquarium Advice Activist
First question: I had a good amount of brown algae on my LR. However, i turned on the light one day, and it was all gone. Is this good or bad?

Second: What does it mean when clownfish flare up the fins on their back? I have two that seem to get along, the bigger one just usually has his back fins flared up.

It is good that the brown diatom algae is gone. An excessive amount of brown algae usually indicates excess nutrients in the water column (phosphate and nitrate). If the algae is gone, it means that it doesn't have enough "food" to survive, which is a good sign.

The bigger clown (probably a female, or soon to be female) is just showing its dominance.

I agree with Zooz. When brown algae disappears like this, it means that there is enough bacteria in your tank to kill it off (a good thing). This also means that you are usually nearing the end of a cycle.

I also agree about the clownfish. There is a chance that they will get quite agressive towards each other for a bit, until the female becomes the complete dominant, almost, and they learn to live with each other. She is showing up the measly little boy, that's all. :wink:

Good luck!

Ah, one more thing....will the clown mate in a Nano? Probably a stupid question, but i'm asking it anyways

Most people keep their lights on 10-12 hrs a day. I turn my actinics on around noon, my whites around 1 and then my whites go off at 11 and the blues at 12.

Tank raised specimens will be more likely to breed in captivity. I had a pair of TR percs spawn in a 7 gallon nano. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom