Tyler's First Saltwater Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What the heck is this? lol
img_1468908_0_9b53d2034385907497deee08f84ffd52.jpg

It looks like a little star fish and further up theres a little worm? I assume its from my live rock

Green hair algae problem....

My tank is coveredd in it.. It fully cycled almost a month ago, I asked the LFS guys and they said dont touch it eventually the algae will die off but it seems to be getting worse.. I don't understand it either, my nitrates are near zero, i use RO/IO water so I shouldnt have any phosphates and I decreased my lighting, The only thing I don't have is a protein skimmer but my tank is only 30 gallons so I dont think I need one.. Any help would be greatly appreciated

What they didnt tell you was that when it dies it dumps all the phosphates back into the water there by feeding it's self :(Test your RO/DI water before you mix it it may be high in phos how much are you feeding try and cut back a bit on that.

The pic. it looks like an asternia star and some kind of worm the star eats corline algae the worm detritus

well i dont have any livestock except a blue legged hermit and a turbo snail, so they just eat the algae, my lighting a reduced down to 5 hours a day, do you think i should physically remove the algae?

I remove as much as i can in my tanks my thinking is it's removing nitrAtes as well and add a few more CUC that will help also

sea urchins are great at keeping your algae under control...they eat a lot of algae so they will be a lot of competition for other algae eaters...if you do decide to get one i would suggest getting a short spin like the tuxedo sea urchin

mexican turbo snails are very hardy and also eat most forms of algae, but they are not buttonless feeders like the sea urchin :p

Back
Top Bottom