Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Freak

What the heck is this? lol

It looks like a little star fish and further up theres a little worm? I assume its from my live rock

Old 08-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Freak

Green hair algae problem....

My tank is coveredd in it.. It fully cycled almost a month ago, I asked the LFS guys and they said dont touch it eventually the algae will die off but it seems to be getting worse.. I don't understand it either, my nitrates are near zero, i use RO/IO water so I shouldnt have any phosphates and I decreased my lighting, The only thing I don't have is a protein skimmer but my tank is only 30 gallons so I dont think I need one.. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 08-11-2011, 06:20 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

What they didnt tell you was that when it dies it dumps all the phosphates back into the water there by feeding it's self Test your RO/DI water before you mix it it may be high in phos how much are you feeding try and cut back a bit on that.

The pic. it looks like an asternia star and some kind of worm the star eats corline algae the worm detritus

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Freak

well i dont have any livestock except a blue legged hermit and a turbo snail, so they just eat the algae, my lighting a reduced down to 5 hours a day, do you think i should physically remove the algae?
Old 08-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

I remove as much as i can in my tanks my thinking is it's removing nitrAtes as well and add a few more CUC that will help also

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Freak

What is CUC? Some kind of crab?
Old 08-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Regular

sea urchins are great at keeping your algae under control...they eat a lot of algae so they will be a lot of competition for other algae eaters...if you do decide to get one i would suggest getting a short spin like the tuxedo sea urchin

mexican turbo snails are very hardy and also eat most forms of algae, but they are not buttonless feeders like the sea urchin :P
Old 08-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

CUC is an abbreviation for clean up crew

Tags
build, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com