Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2003, 10:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Type of Chromis?

I was looking for a school of green chromis for my tank at my LFS. My usual very knowledgeable guy wasn't there, but I purchased 4 "chromis, but I'm not sure what type" from one of the helpers. I've attached a picture, any ideas on the type? (sorry for the quality, high zoom with flash....)

Old 07-04-2003, 12:13 AM   #2

I don't think it is a chromis, because of the depth of the body. It is a damsel though, possibly a Pomacentrus Amboinensis, which has a common name of Yellow Damselfish. They are known to have a hint of purple or dark blue starting at the head and working its way down the dorsal fin. I may be wrong though... there are so many specie of damsel, that it is hard to identify some of them, especially when they are close to full grown, because of changes throughout its life. Young fish tend to be colorful and more drab when older. This is not always the case either...I guess with all the searching I did, I have to honestly say, I don't know. It just looks like some pictures I saw...
Old 07-04-2003, 12:37 AM   #3

Thanks for the search....I looked around before I posted as well... with the zoom and flash, the color isn't that acurate!! Whatever they are, they are very peaceful and get along with everyone else!! Next stop to the LFS where I got them I'll try to find out from my usual guy.....

Enjoy the 4th!

Greg
Old 07-04-2003, 10:11 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Given the tail structure I have to wonder if its not a member of the Paraglyphidodon.

Is the tail more U shapes or more of V in shape?

If the tail is more of a V shape then it could be soem form of chromis as i have looked thru my burgess atlas and I have seen some chromis with that general body shape. The Chromis Iomelas for example although its colors are not correct.

You mention the colors are not represented well. Can you take a photo with no flash please?

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 03:50 PM   #5

Type of Chromis?

I would say more of a V tail than a U tail... Here's a picture without flash that shows the color a bit better (though the never stay in one place long enough to not get a bit of movement....). Basically they are blue heads with the blue getting lighter as it goes down the body ending with yellow towards/on the tails.

Greg
Old 07-04-2003, 05:07 PM   #6

Chrysiptera hemicyanea?

http://www.fishindex.com/phpphotos/26/37/0/83/29724
Old 07-04-2003, 05:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Chrysiptera hemicyanea?
Exactly what I was thinking! Ok, but that does look like your fish

Tags
chromis

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com