Type of Chromis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chickenman06

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was looking for a school of green chromis for my tank at my LFS. My usual very knowledgeable guy wasn't there, but I purchased 4 "chromis, but I'm not sure what type" from one of the helpers. I've attached a picture, any ideas on the type? (sorry for the quality, high zoom with flash....)

I don't think it is a chromis, because of the depth of the body. It is a damsel though, possibly a Pomacentrus Amboinensis, which has a common name of Yellow Damselfish. They are known to have a hint of purple or dark blue starting at the head and working its way down the dorsal fin. I may be wrong though... there are so many specie of damsel, that it is hard to identify some of them, especially when they are close to full grown, because of changes throughout its life. Young fish tend to be colorful and more drab when older. This is not always the case either...I guess with all the searching I did, I have to honestly say, I don't know. It just looks like some pictures I saw...

Thanks for the search....I looked around before I posted as well... with the zoom and flash, the color isn't that acurate!! Whatever they are, they are very peaceful and get along with everyone else!! Next stop to the LFS where I got them I'll try to find out from my usual guy.....

Enjoy the 4th!

Greg

Given the tail structure I have to wonder if its not a member of the Paraglyphidodon.

Is the tail more U shapes or more of V in shape?

If the tail is more of a V shape then it could be soem form of chromis as i have looked thru my burgess atlas and I have seen some chromis with that general body shape. The Chromis Iomelas for example although its colors are not correct.

You mention the colors are not represented well. Can you take a photo with no flash please?

I would say more of a V tail than a U tail... Here's a picture without flash that shows the color a bit better (though the never stay in one place long enough to not get a bit of movement....). Basically they are blue heads with the blue getting lighter as it goes down the body ending with yellow towards/on the tails.

Greg

Back
Top Bottom