Types of fish with reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltyH2O

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm new to saltwater. My tank is cycling right now. My question is what kinds of fish am I limited to if I do a reef tank or was the pet store wrong in telling me I was very limited.

Well you're not limited to like 5 fish but there are some fish you just can't have... I'm no expert on reefs because I have yet to have one but I have researched some much about fish and with lots of research comes lots of knowledge. I have books that specify if they are or aren't reef safe. Just whatever fish you want just research. There are lots of fish for both reef and FOWLR. :)

I suggest coming up with a list of all the fish you like. Then post it on here and we can let you know what is wrong with the list (that fish gets too big, those can't go together, that one will eat corals, etc.).

What size tank?
What types of corals?
What fish made you want to do saltwater?

My tank is a 75 gallon bow front. Running a canister filter now cause I got it free but I think I am going to build a 20 gal sump. I want clown, tang, and wife is requesting a dog face puffer. I have a few damsels now. I heard those fish that sift the sand are cool to watch. Not set on any certain corals yet. I heard a puffer might be a problem with corals. Thanks for any help

No puffer, that will have to wait for your next tank.

I would get rid of the damsels, they are nothing but a headache. They will likely be too aggressive and you will end up pulling them out anyways.

Most any tank would be great with a pair of clowns. Just get the ones you really want cause you can't add more once you get a set. This I learned from experieince.

I wouldnt put a tang in that size tank. Typically they require 6 foot tanks cause they are a very very active fish. My yellow races back and forth all day long, and when I had the other tangs they did the same, especially the kole tang, very active fish.

Some people buy diamond gobies, they can sift the sand but also make a mess of your tank so buy with that in the back of your mind. I wouldnt get one until your tank is mature enough to have food in the sandbed for him.

But there are soo many other cool fish. If you want corals, they have reef safe wrasses, very very colorful. Or if you want the tang look, a lemonpeel angel, not sure if they are reef safe or not though.

As far as corals, you're only limited by space and your lights. :)

I also agree on the damsels, pull them now before it's harder to get them out. lol They "can" be nasty little buggers.

Pretty sure in terms of tangs, they usually get too big, plus very active swimmer. The puffer, mine as well forget any puffer, they have hardened beaks instead of lips. They will tear up your coral. I understand you stated you would like to keep corals, but perhaps a look into a fowlr (fish-only with live rock) tank would be an option as well. You can still have a very stunning beautiful tank without coral, places more focus on the fish only IMO. But again, just an option

I'm considering doing a fish only with live rock and no coral. Does anyone know how aggressive the puffer would be to other fish like clowns for example?

Depends, if the clowns are relatively small compared to the puffer, he may bite and nip the clowns. Any fish that's the same size or bigger than the puffer should be ok. Oh and you prob won't be able to keep inverts, the puffer likes to play with them. I'm gonna be buying a dog-faced puffer for my 125, in that tank is an adult maroon and yellow clown and other fish, the clown will be ok. Just be cautious

Thanks for the info. I was told that if I had a starfish or even coral and my fish got sick I could not medicate cause it would probably kill the starfish and coral. Is this true or is there away around that? Perhaps a QT tank for the sickly. I plan on maintaining a healthy tank so I'm guessing this shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah we all planon keeping a healthy tank, but much like humans, fish get sick out of nowhere. Medicating a coral tank for a fish illness is extremely hit and miss, depends on what medication against what coral. Imo you are much better off going the route of a qt. All you need for it is water, filter, and some sort of pvc hiding tube... No rocks due to they soak up meds. That way if a fish gets sick, you can not only isolate it, but also rest knowing that your medication is getting to him only.

Sometimes you'll get lucky with puffers though. Mine nipped at corals once, and never again. I got really lucky. I still keep him well fed and an extra eye on him though

Back
Top Bottom