Types of LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrWrasse

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm about to order some more LR, and was wondering what some of your experiences were with the different types. I have a few pieces of Caribbean and Fiji. The Fiji seems nice, but its bulky and boulder like. I was considering Lalo, Kaelini, and Melanesian. All are found in www.Liveaquaria.com product list. Have any of you tried these types? Is liveaquaria a good plce to buy the rock?

Have you considered keys rock from liverocks.com or even gulf rock. they both look great, priced under 5 bux shipped and Zack and Mike make it happen. I got my gulf rocks and it was teeming with life. Still finding stuff on it. :mrgreen:

Thank you for the info. I was just looking at the site. Seems like some good stuff. I do have a few ?'s about it.

#1. Is it basically boulders?
#2. Is it lighter in weight compared to Fiji of similar size and shape?

1 no it is not bolders

2 I don't know but it seems pretty pourous to me. got plenty of holes also. :mrgreen:

well i have gotten rock from both liverocks.com and liveaquaria.com the rock i got from liveaquaria.com was the lalo live rock. it was kinda like in branches like the tonga but it also came with kinda like bolders. they they were kinda big and round but had a ton of holes. but the liverocks.com rock is vary nice rock. it is also kinda like bolders some of it is big and round but has a ton of holes in the rock and has some cool shapes to it. if you are going top order rock from some one get it from liverock.com there rock is a lot nice then liveaquaria.com and you get hitchhikers on the rock.

FYI, if you want larger or smaller rocks you can request it from Zack. I got 200lbs from them over a few orders and was very happy with it :D

live rock

everyone is always talking about getting LR with stuff on it I have one 6 lb with 2 apitasia anemonies, 3 1/2 dime sized feathers, and maybe 100 tiny little feathers, seen a bristle one day, had grape algee but emrald ate it all so far..also orange polyps

However the rock I got for my 55 was cured or at least semi cured, I did see a pod, tiny shrip but every thing looks dead and layers of it are peeling like a bad sunburn, I this normal, or is every thing dead and now my expensive LR which is mostly fugi now just a rock in a tank.

Where did you get the rock for the 55? Also did you keep up with the water changes while the rock was curing?

2 different lfs one tulsa other fort smith ark, It was supposed to be already cured.
the ones from tuls where supposed to be just finishing I reset up my tank with them by pulling all fish snail ect to QT then cycling with lights of except for 1-2 hours a day, with the addition of 2 maxi jet 1200 power heads and 2 more inches for a total of 3 dsb,

My levels have now dropped amonia is O, nitrate is 10 mg/ml, and my nitrite is a .2 mg/l

Is this finished cycling , it has only been 10days however water was 3 months, old, and some rock has been there for 2 months, and my bio wheels are 3 month old as well as 1 inch of live sand.

Do i do water changes while cycling my tank ,

My real Q is this while stuff grow or do I add precured LR from QT which has stuff on it. (feathers about 100, bristle worm, corline alge, grape alge,

I want to add nassaria snails for my dsp ? how many 25 to 50 i have 4 turbos, and 1 yellow goby.

2 different lfs one tulsa other fort smith ark, It was supposed to be already cured.
the ones from tuls where supposed to be just finishing I reset up my tank with them by pulling all fish snail ect to QT then cycling with lights of except for 1-2 hours a day, with the addition of 2 maxi jet 1200 power heads and 2 more inches for a total of 3 dsb,

My levels have now dropped amonia is O, nitrate is 10 mg/ml, and my nitrite is a .2 mg/l

Is this finished cycling , it has only been 10days however water was 3 months, old, and some rock has been there for 2 months, and my bio wheels are 3 month old as well as 1 inch of live sand.

Do i do water changes while cycling my tank ,

My real Q is this while stuff grow or do I add precured LR from QT which has stuff on it. (feathers about 100, bristle worm, corline alge, grape alge,

I want to add nassaria snails for my dsp ? how many 25 to 50 i have 4 turbos, and 1 yellow goby.

Back
Top Bottom