types of rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magnaflow

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey guys,
what type of rock/sand can you use. Assuming normal fish rocks dont cut it. I heard there like $50 a bag.. Canadian of course. Looking to try live rock but not crazy priced rock underneath

you would use oolitic sand as a substrate, with live rock for bio filtration - FOWLR

oolitic sand is basically aragonite sand, adn will very slowly dissolve over the years to help maintain proper alkalinity and pH in the water.

'sugar sized' granuals are preferred...not too powdery, but not too heavy either.

Carib Sea's Aragamax sand is a good choice, but it'll likely run you over $1 per pound, Canadian dollars.
Aroudn here I think I got a 30lb bag for $25US...not much cheaper.

You can try home depot/lowe's type stores, and look for 'tropical' playsand. it's usually around $10 a large bag...as opposed to silica based playsand which is like $5 for 50lb bags.
Brand names to look for are Old Castle, and Southdown. finding them is hit or miss, as its regional whether they'll carry it or not.

FOWLR basically means no reef. No corals. Just a regualr sw rank with liverock., as opposed to a reef setup with corals, anemones, even various inverts.

Back
Top Bottom