UGF and powerheads needed in SW tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heineken

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm in the process of converting a FW to a SW tank. it's a 90gal tank. I've read that the water circulation needs to be optimal in a SW tank, but wouldn't the sand be sucked up in the UGF? I'm planning on getting a W/D filter/ protein skimmer set up, so should I just discard the powerheads and UGF?
Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

most people do not recommend UGF anymore for SW.

Almost everyone here agrees that LR (1.5 lb per gallon) and LS (1 to 3" deep) with 10x flow (PH and/or sump) with a good skimmer is all you need. No W/D, no UGF

Yeah those powerheads are a little weak...but are you going with a sump? Because the return pump from the sump to the display tank is going to count towards your total gph. Skimmers, however, do not count.

yup, i'm probably gonna go with a sump. I still need to buy the return pump. Any recommendations on a return pump?

love the mag drive pumps. Very quiet and reliable. For a 90 gal I would look at the Mag 9.5. As veryone else said, skip the UGF and up the powerheads. Any idea on what type of tank you want to have? Good luck! Lando

YEAH get a mag drive 9.5 that should work it pumps 950 per hour!! Big als online .com has the best prise on thoes that i have seen. That alone will turn the tank 10.5 times per hour and just use one PH IMO :wink:

Back
Top Bottom