Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

UGHH!!! bought a light fixture and the bulbs are dead

i bought a 75 dollar nova extreme with 2 bulbs not 4

the packaging came with the fixture and bulbs separately

the light didnt turn on when i plugged it in and so i shook the bulbs, and i hear rattling in both

im really pissed right now because i bought it from amazon and have NEVER had a bad experience, filed a claim .5 seconds after they better send me new bulbs!!! the worst part is i dont know if my actual fixture is broken either because i cant test it with new bulbs, might go to home depot to try n find a really cheap light lol

are the nova extremes known to have poor quality? while applying the docking parts i felt like it was really cheaply made :/

i was hesitant to buy this on amazon because it had no ratings but a lot of people recommended it

Old 11-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have no experience with that light so really couldn't tell you ,

but like my grandfather always told me

if you buy cheap you get cheap

Old 11-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Nothing cheap about Current brand fixtures. They're a quality fixture. You can't judge a fixture by the broken bulbs that came with it.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

i seriously do regret buying the nova extreme. I know i took the cheap way out but they were nothing but positive feedback from multiple forums :/

however, once i opened it, it felt like it cost 20 dollars to make :/
i guess i should of spent a few more bucks

i noticed in my manual it said this isnt designed to dock above my aquarium, i must have a glass mount or something, luckily i do but what are the dangers of not using it? i like the idea of it being open and docked lol
Old 11-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

im going to order 2 new bulbs, a 10k and 460, just like the fixture came with, but i want to buy them from a different source

i think ill try dr fosters, since they are a big name. Any suggestions for bulb brand? they are mostly within the same price range (~18) each
Old 11-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
Nothing cheap about Current brand fixtures. They're a quality fixture. You can't judge a fixture by the broken bulbs that came with it.
This is the absolute truth. You did buy a good light fixture. You also can't fairly blame Amazon if something bad happened in transit. If anything bad happens Amazon will make it right. The thing that separates a good company can only be judged when something bad happens. A lousy company will give you the runaround and a good one will take care of you. Amazon will stand behind you.

Almost all fluorescent bulbs rattle even when they are perfect. It's a part of manufacturing the tube (it's usually a tiny nipple of glass). Double check the connections at the endcaps. They need to be on them very solidly. I honestly doubt that both bulbs would be bad if they're not broken. If you know somebody who can use a multimeter it would be a good idea to check the fixture. Best of luck.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

ill retest when i get home, i was sure i had a secure connection, i even flipped the bulbs and tried them in the other slot. It wasnt a light shake, it was like a piece of metal going up and down the entire thing, the other wasnt as loud but nether of them turned on

although i am starting to doubt myself, maybe i shouldnt of shook it harder to even see if it was broken cuz i know that can make it worse

Tags
bulb, bulbs, dead, fixture, light, light fixture

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com