Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-21-2006, 02:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ugly coloured clown :(

I've had my pair of orange percula clowns for about 6 months. They are both fine and happy and eat well. However, the female is an ugly dark colour. She sort of looks like the colour that the black clowns are when they are changing from orange to black. A very dull orange colour.
Shes about 5cm long and quite aggressive towards the male.
Shes been this colour for about 2-3 months.
Just wondering if there was any reason for this?

lilly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 03:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
maybe it is slowly changing to black lol? check water and everything, and is she getting the right food?

sir_dudeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 09:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Um not to sure on this, but I think that this commonly happens. I have had it happen, and it just seems like a maturity thing in the clown. Maybe someone else will chime in on this.
Remember to Keep Christ First!
revhtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 12:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to Civicman86
My male clown has the same thing. I bought him becuase of it though. He seems to slowely becoming orange though.

Pics and specs coming soon...
Civicman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Here is a link I was reading on some others opinions on why some clowns turn dark http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopi...34513&start=40
ckmn101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:37 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
From what I understand, it's normal for clownfish to change color as they age, and also in response to your lighting. Hosting in certain corals as well can make them darken. I know Fluff has had this issue, as well as a few others on AA.

They can also get darker from stress. If you water quality pans out as being fine, I would assume it completely normal, like the others said, and not worry about it.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote

clown, colour

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com