uh-oh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My nitrates which always register at 5, and WERE 5 two weeks ago, are now between 20 and 30 depending on your perception of the color. I am doing a water change tommorrow morning first thing, and will continue to do them every other day. So now i have two questions, actually three. First has anyone ever used AZ-NO3 Nitrate Exporter (sopposively work with the protien skimmer)? Second, does this mean my DSB is functioning properly? Third, I forgot what is was, I'll get back to ya :roll: . Also, I am thinking of taking out the bio-balls. Good or bad choice?

TIA,

Mary

If you have 150 lbs of GOOD liverock, you could take out the bioballs. If you dont have a minimum of 1 lb rock per gallon of water, you may want to rethink that if you plan on having a heavy bioload. WIth what is listed in your profile, you would be ok in my opinion.

as far as the nitrate exporter, I have no experience there.

I would recheck your test. If you are showing that much of a jump in nitrates with a DSB it could be a warning signal. You have a minimal bio load and 1lb/gallon LR so I would remove the bioballs at least until you find the source of those nitrates. Maybe the bioballs are at least part of the reason. Good Luck.

I would take out the bioballs and replace them with LR rubble. It is a better filter media for nitrate removal.

You could take out the balls a little over a week or two giving the tank time to grow new bacteria if needed. I would not add anything to replace the bioballs. Rubble is nice but it will trap waste just like the bioballs and create NO3 over time.
Chemicals IMO are just a quick fix, you need to find the cause of the NO3 and correct the problem.
Have you ever cleaned the bioballs?????? how long has the tank been running.

The tank has been running since April though it was purchased from a previous owner and we left everything the way it was so as not to lose the cycle. I had a 55 for 3 years prior to that and had never owned a wet dry, the owner told me not to disturb the bio-balls. I have never cleaned the bioballs out of fear that I would lose the bacteria. So should I just shut down the wet dry completely and clean everything out? Right now I don't see any signs of algea yet, so I need to get it under control before that becomes a problem as well : )

I believe the LR rubble does a muc better job at removing nitrate from the water. When I first started with bio-balls my nitrates were over 15. Now with the rubble they are just over 2. If waste is trapped in the rubble, it is a much better enviornment for nitrate removing bacteria to grow. If you have a sponge over the intake to the sump to capture most large detritus, you should not have a problem with nitrates over time.

Ok, this is what I did today. Cleaned the bioballs and entire wet dry. I rinsed the sponge in seawater and put it right back in in case any bacteria was lost. I changed out 15 gallons, but with 150 lb's rock and 5" of sand, I sure that it was a bit more than a 10%. THEN I check my nitrates. They went down by MAYBE 10ppm. Is this normal. I am going to do another 20g w/c tommorrow. Can I do one every day this week? Is this too much of a W/C? I am also planning to get 150lb's of new LR about 30 days from now...will this help in the long run? I am so scared to get it hearing all the horror stories about Apistia? anemones and mantis. I have peppermint shrimp though, and they have some pretty big appetites so I don't see that being a problem, but I am going for it anways and hope to get the mantis (really hoping) with a trick QS told me. Anyways, is this normal for the nitrate to only go down 5-10ppm?

Back
Top Bottom