Uh oh - snails are all dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Breakthecycle2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So in my new nuvo 16, I just noticed all my snails are dead and the shells are empty, including my turbo snail. All five are gone. Is it possible the hermits ate them, although there is only 3 "bigger" ones and three dwarf blue legged or a mantis?

+1
I've seen blue legs gang up on a snail, kill it, and walk away..... didn't even do it for the shell. This is why I prefer scarlet hermits....

I have scarlets in mine as well. There's no way three dwarf blue legged killed and ate all my snails, especially considering I have empty shells in there as it is.

I have scarlets in mine as well. There's no way three dwarf blue legged killed and ate all my snails, especially considering I have empty shells in there as it is.

The scarlets wouldn't have killed them, but once they were dead, I guarantee they joined in on the feast...... so, yes, it's possible.

My blue legged hermits are constantly killing my cerinth and turban snails and they are tiny (less than 1cm long including the tiny shell). My turbos used to die in my FOWLR setup as my trates got too high.
A tiny little crab can easily kill a snail that has no defence other than to shut the door. And that doesn't always (or even very often) work.

Back
Top Bottom